Sign in to follow this  
Brian4618

Crankbait rod

Im looking into gettin a rod for my crankbait reel and some of the rods I was looking for aren't the ones that are lure specific. So what should I look for when I get one? what should the action be, power, length? When I am fishin crank baits I am usually in shallow timber, so most of my lures are light weight ( 1/4 oz ). Thanks

The best bang for your buck is going to be a bps crankin stick...a great rod with an even better price tag.  For shallow cranks I would go with a 7' m or even shorter with a fast to moderate-fast action.  

some of the rods I was looking for aren't the ones that are lure specific. So what should I look for when I get one? what should the action be, power, length?

Length is your preference, but most (almost all) cranking rods are moderate or mod-fast action.  For 1/4 oz baits, you're probably wanting a med power....  possibly a med-hvy if you also use bigger baits.

I use a St. Croix Avid AVC70MM for small cranks.  It wings those little peanut cranks a mile, and has plenty of back bone for big fish.  Paired with a Daiwa Sol, its a very light and balanced combo.  For heavier baits, I step up to an AVC70MHM.

The best bang for your buck is going to be a bps crankin stick...a great rod with an even better price tag. For shallow cranks I would go with a 7' m or even shorter with a fast to moderate-fast action.

I agree with BigRick on the BPS crankin' stick. The quality & price

can't be beat.

I own the 6' in the ML action. Great for small spinnerbaits & cranks.

Great tip response, you can load it up & cast the lighter lures a mile.

(I'd go with the 6'6" M action model)

GOOD LUCK!!

BB :)