Sign in to follow this  
Rand

Carolina Rig Favs and Setup

Starting to get the Humminbird SI dialed in. Been finding a lot of sweet deep water spots. Just wondering what your favorite C-Rig baits were? What's your C-Rig setup consist of? Does anyone use braid as a leader? Just thinking maybe that would have better durability. Either that or was going to try some Yo zuri Hybrid 15lb test.

Rand

My favorite setup. First of all, I use carolina keepers so no tying leaders. brass weight one bead a clacker another bead and a carolina keeper. My personal favorite baits are 10" worms,8" lizards,brush hogs,Grande Bass Mutants,Gambler Ugly Otter,(beaver style) Big Bite Baits Yo mama. Falcon Original 7', Abu Garcia C4 4600, 14#Sufix Siege Camo.

I use a 7' 1" Kistler Argon paired with a Revo STX spooled with 20lb XPS fluoro and Gamakatsu EWG hooks for water 20ft or less. If deeper than 20ft i use a Powell Max 766H(7' 6" Mag H/XF) paired with a Revo SX spooled with 65lb braid and same hooks. My favorite lures are 8" Zoom lizards. I will also use 10" Berkley Powerbait worms, Zoom flukes and even Senkos.

My Carolina rig setup is a 7' MH Field & Stream baitcasting rod with a Quantum Burst baitcasting reel in a 7.1:1 gear ratio.

For terminal tackle I go with a 1 oz. Tungsten weight and a Tru-Tungsten Peter "T" Force Bead with a swivel attached underneath that.  As for the leader, I go with a 12 lb. flourocarbon line as long as my arm.  Hook size depends on what type of bait I am using.

Now for baits.  I like a 6" Zoom lizard or a 10" Power worm.

I actually do lighter carolina rigs than most,  but seem to do alright that way. I use a 7' medium spinning rod,with a stradic 2500 spooled with 20lb power pro. I usually use a 3/8oz bullet weight, with two beads, about a 3' leader of 20lb flouro and almost always use a 5" or 6" lizard, altho sometimes I will use a french fry type bait.

lizards, craws, worms... some also like flukes and senkos. They will tell you pretty quickly, which they prefer. :) Lizards were always my #1 producer until I started fishing Belton, and here it's craws. (beaver types)

I wouldn't use braid as a leader, but I don't even use it as a main line yet. ...lol

Thanks for the info guys. Do you generally use lighter line than mainline for leader?

Rand

Rod: Falcon Lowrider Lizard Dragger

Reel: Revo STX

Line: 20lb trilene 100%; Leader 15lb Yo-Zuri

Baits: Lake Fork Ring Fry; Mann's Hardnose Lizard; 10" power worm

Rod: Kistler Ltx II 7'11" flipping stick

Reel: Daiwa Zillion SHA

Line 17lb or 20lb fluorocarbon either Vicious or Xps

Weight anywhere from 1/2oz to 1oz usually brass or tungsten

Leader 12lb PLine CXX

Lures:  Zoom Centipede, Berkley 10" worm or Zoom 6" or 8" Lizard also use a Zoom Super Fluke in the summer quite a bit.

I have lots of options with rod and reel. I have a GLX that would go great with this app. Its for C-Rigs and jigs. But I have to get it sent back because it has broken tip.

For now could go with Revo SX, Revo STX, TD Z, TD Fuego. Prob put the reel on a Daiwa L&T Its a Heavy power rod for big jigs and such. As for line probe PLine CXX. Just because that is what I have right now.

As far as baits just got some Rage Space Monkeys and Craw that I am wanting to try as well as some RI Sweet Beavers.

Rand

so how much does the length of the leader matter?

I don't think it matters much at all.  I always make my leader the lenght of my arm, no matter if the water is clear, stained, or muddy.

I don't ever use a leader, even with the braid as the line of choice. I have fished side by side with my bro who does use a leader and there was no difference in the amount of bites really!

7 ft Kistler Magnesium MH/f / Powell Max MH/EF...Revo STX.  I use an 18 inch leader on 12# yo zuri Hybrid.  My favorite bait lately has been a Strike King Rage Tail Shad