Sign in to follow this  
BenoBreath

Older Quantum 381 Crankin' Reels

Anyone ever fished with these ? Picked up a couple at a yard sale

for a great price. Both are in good condition.

Thanks !!

BB :)

381? I have a couple of the EX301P models. Bought them new many years ago and there still kicking bass today without any issues. I still use these for cranks even though I have at least 8 Energy's an 6 or 7 Tour PT's. Just can't beat that 4.4:1 for deep cranks.

Dang Quantum hatters know nothing of what they speak, but that's okay, more for me.  

I had two of these, if they are the reel I'm thinking of (the only 3.8 Quantum made I think).  It is gold in color and based on the 1310mg frame.  It was part of a series....there was a 3.8 crankin', 4.4 pitchin', and a 6.2 high speed.  I had them all.  I actually loved that 3.8:1 crankin' reel, as well as my silver 1310's.  Those 1310mg quantums never gave me any trouble; it was the later Quantums that did.  When I got a pro-staff deal with Quantum in '91, I ordered a slew of Pro 1c, 2c, and 3c...there top of the line at the time, and they all ended up sucking.  That crankin' reel won't compare to today's reels, it's kind of archaic.  It will work though...

I had two of these, if they are the reel I'm thinking of (the only 3.8 Quantum made I think). It is gold in color and based on the 1310mg frame. It was part of a series....there was a 3.8 crankin', 4.4 pitchin', and a 6.2 high speed. I had them all. I actually loved that 3.8:1 crankin' reel, as well as my silver 1310's. Those 1310mg quantums never gave me any trouble; it was the later Quantums that did. When I got a pro-staff deal with Quantum in '91, I ordered a slew of Pro 1c, 2c, and 3c...there top of the line at the time, and they all ended up sucking. That crankin' reel won't compare to today's reels, it's kind of archaic. It will work though...

Yep' those are the ones. I'll clean 'em up, lube 'em, and respool them,

and see what they can do.

Thanks Natural for the post.

BB :)

I had one of these and the "pitchin" one also back in the day. Not a bad reel and was techno tops for the time it was made. If I remember right it was pretty tricky getting the cast controls just right but once tuned in it worked great. Try using yours for ultra deep cranking. Good reel for those cranks with 2" and 3" bills on them. The 3.8:1 ratio is excellent for that presentation, use a med. heavy or heavy action rod though.

I have the "high speed on my crankin' rod, and they are pretty nice. Considering how big and almost bulky they are they do palm quite nicely.

-gk

I still have one that works fine, but i don't use it anymore. Everyone that throws a dd22 today (5:1 to 7:1 reels) need the opportunity to try the 3.8 ...it will feel like your retrieving a zara spook...