Sign in to follow this  
vatech

Rod to pair with Revo STX

So I just saw a deal to get a Revo STX-HS and made the impulse buy. Now I have the "problem" of needing a rod for the reel.

I just started fishing earlier this year and so far I only own a BPS pro qualifer reel in 6:3:1 ratio paired with a St. Croix MOJO. The model I have is MBC66MF which is 6'6'', medium power, fast action, 10-17 lbs line weight and 1/4-5/8 lure wt - supposedly designed for jerkbait/topwater.

In the near future I also plan to purchase a loomis or kistler rod and lightweight spinning reel to use exclusively for dropshotting and shaky head.

I have a birthday coming up so I figure I'll ask for a rod to pair with the STX Since I'm not buying, I figure I'll swing for the fences and ask for something good.

If you were in my shoes, what rod would you get? I'm not sure exactly what technique I'm hoping to use for this reel, but if you have experience with it, I would love to know if it does anything extremely well and other things not so well.

Thanks guys.

a have couple stx's that I use with Avids and a carrot. The avids are 6'6" mh (t-rigs and weightless plastics) and a 7' mh (jigs). The carrot is a 7'6" heavy (flipping, heavy jigs, swimbaits).

Look at the Shimano Crucial line.  I've been on a rod buying spree and these are really nice.  I've owned Loomis Mossybacks and Spinnerbait rods and I like the Crucial more.  I've also owned Carrot Stixs and I like the Crucials more than those.  I was thinking about getting some Avids but the Shimano return policy is really a sweet deal on top of an even sweeter rod for 150ish

G. Loomis GLX MBR844C and make this your dedicated jig rig.

8-)

I love the STX personally! I have mine on a Kistler Argon 7' 1" H/F and it is a match made in heaven! I also have one on a Powell Max 705C that is near perfect as well!

I have 2 STX's.  By far my favorite reel. (I will be buying another when the new ones come out and probably an SX also) I have one that I switch between a Powell Max and Kistler Magnesium.  The other i have on my new St. Croix Legend Tournament.  This is my fav setup thus far.  Whatever Rod you choose, Im sure it will be a great set up because you just purchased a Dang Good reel

I have heard that the Revo's (SX in this case) balance perfectly on a 7'H Powell Max.  I have an S on my 7'MH Kistler Mag and it is great too.