Sign in to follow this  
dan1942

New Light Weight Casting setup

Hi everyone!

I am looking at picking up a new reel and wanted something that I can use to cast weightless worms etc.  Something that would replace my spinning rod.  I just bought a new curado 200e7 with a Kistler 7 MH/f rod which I love but now I have been looking at some of the JDM reels and would like to try one out.   any suggestions?  I would like to stay in the 300-350 (for the reel only) range, left hand retrieve .

Thanks!!!

Dan

Daiwa Alphas

TD Alpha R edition is 6.0oz. I think the other ones are a bit more up to 8oz. Daiwa Presso is ultra finesse at 5.5oz and Daiwa Pixy is super finesse at 5.7oz. I'd go Pixy!

Shimano Aldebaran if you're going JDM.

There's a used Aldebaran on Ichiban Tackle right now for $325.

A spin cast reel with a 6'6 rod will work fine. You can be that dude who sounds like indiana jones when you cast.

What about the new Shimano Core that was released at Icast. I know its not a JDM but looks like it might be good for light baits? I have been looking at some of the pixys on TT forums and I really like the way they look and I see everyone is getting them upgraded to a Pixzilla , Is that a necessary upgrade does it make a big difference?

Thanks!

I'm still fairly new to Baitcasting and I have no problems casting 5" Senkos with a Shimano Chronarch 51Mg.  While they are still available... you could probably pick up 2 MG 51s for the price of 1 JDM.

What about the new Shimano Core that was released at Icast. I know its not a JDM but looks like it might be good for light baits? I have been looking at some of the pixys on TT forums and I really like the way they look and I see everyone is getting them upgraded to a Pixzilla , Is that a necessary upgrade does it make a big difference?

Thanks!

Definitely not a necessary upgrade. They take a light weight finesse reel and supercharge it, adding weight and strength (and a lot of bells and whistles for looks) that it doesn't necessarily need for its intended purpose.

The main upgrade you want to do to the Pixy is the Carbontex drag.  Its $18 for the parts, and money WELL SPENT.

I'm still fairly new to Baitcasting and I have no problems casting 5" Senkos with a Shimano Chronarch 51Mg. While they are still available... you could probably pick up 2 MG 51s for the price of 1 JDM.

A 5" senko-style bait weighs a little over 3/8 oz.  If a reel can't cast that, it can't cast anything.

What do you think the chances of the new Core 50mg being able to handle light baits like the Pixy??

I'm still fairly new to Baitcasting and I have no problems casting 5" Senkos with a Shimano Chronarch 51Mg. While they are still available... you could probably pick up 2 MG 51s for the price of 1 JDM.

A 5" senko-style bait weighs a little over 3/8 oz. If a reel can't cast that, it can't cast anything.

Very true.  But does that mean the Chronarch Mg is not worth consideration?  ;) ;)

I also cast 4" Senkos & 1/4oz cranks with it.  I figured that the 5" Senko was one of the most common weightless plastics.   My point was that I do not have a lot of experience with casting rods and still do well with fairly light baits.  My thought was if the Chronarch Mg  is forgiving with me, then it should be forgiving with lighter baits in the hands of a more experienced caster.

Although Dan has a $300+ budget, it might still be worth considering the capabilities of the $150-$200 Chronarch Mg.  It would be very helpful if you could detail your experience with the Mg and the more expensive alternatives recommended here.  Specific performance comparisons would help me (and maybe Dan & others) to evaluate the benefits of the more expensive reels versus the substantial increase in price. :) :) :)

Leon

I use the chronarch MG 51 paired with a 7'2 Cumara MF. I love that setup. It is so light and can cast just about anything light.

Hi everyone!

I am looking at picking up a new reel and wanted something that I can use to cast weightless worms etc.

MH spinning rod with mid-sized spinning reel that has over-sized drag and sturdy anti-reverse bearing!  Try spooling it with the new Fireline braid in 15 lb test.

Daiwa Alphas

TD Alpha R edition is 6.0oz. I think the other ones are a bit more up to 8oz.

Nope, all Alphas reels are under 7 oz.

Ok thanks everyone for the advice so far.  Here is the 2 setups I am leaning to.

Pixy with a Dobyns Extreme Casting Rod 7' ML 702

New Core 50MG7 with a Cumara 6'8"M/F

Part of me does not want to get a Pixy because most of the used ones are pretty banged up that I found and would have to be repainted. and the nib ones are going for 380.  

If the new core will handle the light stuff well I may just get that.  I see some people have already ordered it on here so I am hoping some people will have some feedback on this weekend.

Thanks!

Ok thanks everyone for the advice so far. Here is the 2 setups I am leaning to.

Pixy with a Dobyns Extreme Casting Rod 7' ML 702

New Core 50MG7 with a Cumara 6'8"M/F

Part of me does not want to get a Pixy because most of the used ones are pretty banged up that I found and would have to be repainted. and the nib ones are going for 380.

If the new core will handle the light stuff well I may just get that. I see some people have already ordered it on here so I am hoping some people will have some feedback on this weekend.

Thanks!

Don 't know where you looked for them Pixys @ $380 (  ;) ) but there are two Pixys for sale at E-bay for $ 240-280.

380 was at Plat's and I did find one at ichiban used for 239.00 but it is pretty dinged up and I would have to get it painted and would probably have DR turn it into a Pixzilla.  Also it has to be LH retreive which makes it harder to find.  I am checking ebay now