Sign in to follow this  
bassheel

6:1 RATIOS REELS

Im a shimano person to the end. what is the deal with not having reels in 6:1 ratio?Will the curado ever have one.I have some of the old greenies,but want to try the new ones(e series). I have and love my 50mg and then they drop the 6:1 ratio in that. Come on Shimano what gives?

Ask Bantam1 in the Shimano section.

i felt the same way as you when the E-series came out. i bought a citica (6:1) and two curados (5:1 and 7:1) and quickly discovered that i never used the citica. i suppose if you only had one rod/reel that you wanted to use for everything, a 6:1 makes sense but i have found that for techniques that call for a slower retrieve are much easier with a 5:1 and everything else is easier with a 7:1.

i recently found out that the E-series citica and curado gear sets are interchangeable and so i picked up a set of 7:1 gears and installed them in my citica. it was easy and it works great.

another thing to keep in mind is that gear ratios don't necessarily translate to equivalent line recovery. for example, the new core 50 is a 7:1 reel but it "only" picks up 28 inches of line per turn of the handle. this is only 1 inch more than the 6:1 citica (whereas the curado E7 picks up 30 inches per crank.

The 7.x ratios between manufactures are quite different, the core50 cranks in 28" of line and the Steez does 30" so switching between them requires you to slow down to achive the same results.

Too bad there isn't a standard for reel gearing.

The 7.x ratios between manufactures are quite different, the core50 cranks in 28" of line and the Steez does 30" so switching between them requires you to slow down to achive the same results.

Too bad there isn't a standard for reel gearing.

There is a standard for gear ratio. Its called inches per turn, as that would be the measurement you'd use when comparing two reels, not ratio. I love it when someone says, "There should be a rule for this..." in regards to manufacturing. Yeah, that's great, lets let the government dictate design and development of reel technology, LOL. :)

Besides, I VERY HIGHLY doubt most, if anyone, can actually tell the difference of 2" per turn.  

I've switched over from the Revo 6.4:1 to the Curado 7:1 and I really don't think there is THAT much difference.  I'm using the 7:1 for everything including shallow water crank baits.   I don't fish deep cranks unless I'm in a boat and haven't gotten around to getting an E5, or justifying it yet.  

frank stract told me earlier today, and I hope he doesn't mind me repeating this but it rang true and it was that the Curado E5 and E7 make an excellent 1-2 punch.  You may wonder what they were thinking when you see it on paper though.  

I've switched over from the Revo 6.4:1 to the Curado 7:1 and I really don't think there is THAT much difference. I'm using the 7:1 for everything including shallow water crank baits. I don't fish deep cranks unless I'm in a boat and haven't gotten around to getting an E5, or justifying it yet.

frank stract told me earlier today, and I hope he doesn't mind me repeating this but it rang true and it was that the Curado E5 and E7 make an excellent 1-2 punch. You may wonder what they were thinking when you see it on paper though.

that they do, I likt 6.x reels but the two have it covered