Sign in to follow this  
drop-shot fool

5:1 Pflueger Criterion baitcaster. Is it worth $49.

I was at academy sports today and seen this reel with a 5:1 gear ratio and thought about it getting it for cranking.

No if you want a Pflueger and a good decent crank reel;\

TRION LP; 5:31 at most stores for 99 bucks, I fished it for 2 years, great reel

I love my Pflueger reels, they are about half my arsenal, but I wouldn't buy below the Asaro, although I have heard good about the trion for $99, may be a good choice for 5.x:1.  I think it would be better to take an extra $30-40 and get a power version of last years energy.  Some dicks still have them for $80-90 and can also be found on ebay for that price.

No if you want a Pflueger and a good decent crank reel;\

TRION LP; 5:31 at most stores for 99 bucks, I fished it for 2 years, great reel

x2.  Great reel for $99.00.

It also has a pretty good line capacity to handle long cast that comes with crankbait fishing.

I just happen to have be reading the June issue of Field & Stream today at lunch. They asked 4 manufacturers to submit a $50 BC for testing

1) Diawa Strikeforce  rating 4.5    2 testers gave 1st place scores all 4 agreed they'd buy this reel.  misses - star drag kind of hard to get at compared to handle

2) Shimano Callisto rating 4.0    1 1st place score - liked the mag control, 1 felt like the drag and braking were loose

3) Pflueger Criterion rating 3.5    3 really liked it, one 1st place score, reel broke down on the 4th guy Pflueger offered to fix for free One guy said he "couldn't tell much difference from his $250 ABU"

4) BPS tny special 3.0   3 last place votes "sticky levelwind and too much plastic"

They asked 4 man's to submit reels in this price range and they were tested by 4 F&S fisherman.

If it were me I'd be more inclined to wait for the BPS Extreme's to go on sale as they are often marked down to $59 or less. You can find on E-bay for probably less especially if used.

Note All had at least one first place except maybe the BPS

FFI- AKA Matt Crum