Sign in to follow this  
The Yankee Fist

25+ Old Shimanos, still going...

I remember those Old Bantam Maglites I still have a couple it was the first reel that cost me $100 I remember thinking wow I cannot believe I am spending $100 for a reel. Little did I know then what we would be paying today.

Them Quickfires were loose old things but I caught many a fish on them.  I think I still have one laying around somewhere.

Couple of old workhorses with ALOT of sentimental value.

That 100.00 BM is what kind of money today? I was like 12 or 13 when I bought those. I'd say most fishing reels today in that range are a pretty good value....just don't let me unleash my "FIGHTIN' DRAG" or "QUICKFIRE" on them ;D

I still have one of those Quickfires mounted up on a Shimano Bullwhip rod. Anyone remember the Bullwhips ? They were shaped like pool cues!

My first high end combo (22 yrs ago next week) was the same Magnumlite you posted and a 6'6 G-Loomis IM6. I still have both and both still function flawlessly.

Good stuff, they still work great but they are a little tired and loose.

I remember the days I picked each one up. Lots of fish caught on those two. They both saw quite a bit of saltwater use too. I just kept them cleaned and lubed.

I still have one of those Quickfires mounted up on a Shimano Bullwhip rod. Anyone remember the Bullwhips ? They were shaped like pool cues!

What ? No Shimano Fightin Rod ? ;-)

Mark

Mark

No, but I have a first year Bass Pro Shops Boron High Velocity rod ;)

Mark

The Bullwhip was a Fightin' Rod. I don't remember if Fightin' rods were part of a series and the Bullwhip was just one of them or what. It's a conversation starter for sure ;)

Looks like it had external cast control adjustments.. when did they switch over to internal on the U.S models?

Shimano's are built to last.

I have 2 Shamono Bantams from the 70's that

I got from my dad and they still work perfictly... They are older than I am. Can post pics if you all want to see them.

I *think* I remember the Bullwhip being a slight step down cost wise from the standard Fightin Rod. Had a few Fightin Rods with the Bantams...that was a pretty good rig at the time ! lol

Mark

Couple of old workhorses with ALOT of sentimental value.

That 100.00 BM is what kind of money today? I was like 12 or 13 when I bought those. I'd say most fishing reels today in that range are a pretty good value....just don't let me unleash my "FIGHTIN' DRAG" or "QUICKFIRE" on them ;D

I was about 12 or 13 too when I bought them I don't know what money that is in todays market but then it was about 10 yards mowed that was alot of work and sweat to buy those reels and they still look great today because I had to work so hard to get them. I cannot bring myself to get rid of them for that reason.