Sign in to follow this  
YeahSure

Looking to Get Some new stuff.

Hello everyone, i just now picked up a new fondness for catching bass and would really like to get a nice freshwater pole and a nice reel but im not sure where to start.. Ive been reading alot about getting different kind of action poles and gear ratios on reels and stuff and its left me pretty clueless. I'm looking for an awesome all around pole, i dont want just one thats good for throwing plastics and not spinnerbaits, I usually fish a lot of senkos, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, ect pretty much anything you can think of. So what should i be looking for? A good Medium heavy action pole?

And im also not sure if i should get a spinning rod or get a baitcaster?? Ive never used a baitcaster in my life, im not sure how hard it could be to use but i did notice when watching bassmaters tournament that almost every pro was useing one.. im not sure if it was just the time of year and the situation was calling for one or not but i'd also like a little input as to which one would be a better choice for me.

I'd like a rod for at most around the 200 mark a little more or less is fine, and a real nice reel dont want to jip myself out of some nice gear. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! ;D

This might help:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

Specifically, I would recommend the St. Croix Avid

AVS68MXF and the Shimano Stradic 2500 FI or

perhaps the new 2500 CI4 if you want to wait

a couple of months. This would be an outstanding

"all-around" spinning combination.

8-)

Welcome to the forum!  Within your budget, I'd suggest a G Loomis MBR 783 IMX - it's a 6'6" medium heavy rod that can do everything you've listed - and do those things well.  It's a GREAT all purpose rod with enough sensitivity to detect those lighter jig/worm bites.  It can pretty easily be found on the used market for a good bit less than $200.  If you get lucky, you may find a GLX version for a bit over the $200 mark - and worth it - but either are great!  

As for your reel, depending on your budget there, I'd suggest pairing the Loomis with Shimano Curado E7 - It's a great new reel out by Shimano with a high speed retrieve that is very smooth and powerful.  It's not great for crankbaits due to the high speed retrieve, but it would work if you forced yourself to slow it down.

If you've discovered that you enjoy fishing - you should just go ahead and learn to use the baitcaster.  It really isn't that complicated and the Curado is very user friendly.

you can get a good entry level combo from either cabelas or bass pro for a descent price.  I started with a Bass Pro Extreme/Pflueger President spinning combo that retails for around $129 that is still being used by my dad today.  I would recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable spinning combo.

Welcome to the forum! Within your budget, I'd suggest a G Loomis MBR 783 IMX - it's a 6'6" medium heavy rod that can do everything you've listed - and do those things well. It's a GREAT all purpose rod with enough sensitivity to detect those lighter jig/worm bites. It can pretty easily be found on the used market for a good bit less than $200. If you get lucky, you may find a GLX version for a bit over the $200 mark - and worth it - but either are great!

As for your reel, depending on your budget there, I'd suggest pairing the Loomis with Shimano Curado E7 - It's a great new reel out by Shimano with a high speed retrieve that is very smooth and powerful. It's not great for crankbaits due to the high speed retrieve, but it would work if you forced yourself to slow it down.

If you've discovered that you enjoy fishing - you should just go ahead and learn to use the baitcaster. It really isn't that complicated and the Curado is very user friendly.

Great advice if you decide to go with baitcasting gear.

8-)

well you are def looking in the right place. I too am just starting to get into buying good quality gear. I chose the mojo bass casting rod. 90$ 6'6" seems to be a nice compromise between casting and acurasy. It is actually the topwater / swimbait rod however mostly I have been throwing senko's with it and I really love it. Its got plenty of backbone to haul hawgs out of deep pads and junk, really light weight and nice feel. Its a medium fast action which I find perfect.

I would say if you really have the oomph in you to learn to use a baitcaster you will love it. I switched to baitcaster this year and absolutly love them. At the start you will get frustrated and what not but thats half the battle but once you get into them I feel they are more accurate and much more control over the typical spinning gear.

Reel wise the shimano's are really nice and the abu garcia revo's are nice reels as well. Im currently using a 50$ pinnacle solone that I bought at walmart and I love it. Rod was my first decent purchase and eventually I will drop 100-150 on a nice reel to match but for now the pinnacle is doing just fine, very smooth, really nice casting and alot of the nice features that come in higher priced reels. Its worth checking out just in case you don't like the baitcasters.

Im also running Stren sonic braid 50# and really love this line. Very tough, nice and quiet and casts a mile.

You are going to get a lot of people going in every direction. I would honestly say that any rod abouve 100$ range you are going to love and the other guys opinions on reels with the shimano's and abu's are where you want to be if you got the coin.

Thanks for all the great quick replies!!!

Can anyone recommend a baitcasting rod vs a spinning one or some of the pros and cons? I'm familiar with spinning rods but I have never used a baitcaster. And i'm not one to give up quick, so if a baitcaster is a better choice I would absolutely be willing to learn how to use one

I use both, but since you are just getting started, the learning

curve for spinning tackle is gentle. Why not focus on catching

some bass this year and mess with equipment (baitcaster)

next year?

8-)

Get a baitcaster. And remember when you are learning to use a baitcaster, start with the brake a little to tight at first.Then loosen a little before every cast until you have it dialed in correctly for that line and lure weight.

Get a baitcaster. And remember when you are learning to use a baitcaster, start with the brake a little to tight at first.Then loosen a little before every cast until you have it dialed in correctly for that line and lure weight.

You would be able to use alot more application's and strategies successfully with bait casters than a spinning.

I'd suggest spinning gear also, and agree with RW, a medium rod with extra fast tip will offer plenty to cover all bases on what your goals are. I myself like the xf tips, you'll feel every subtle lil tap.

With names like Powell, GLoomis, St Croix, Shimano and my personal favorite a custom rod from GBlanks, all offer excellent choices for $200 and under.

Spinning reels can be a dime a dozen so choose wisely, a $100 to $125 reel will provide you with years of service when properly taken care of.  Simano, Abu Garcia and my choice Daiwa all offer great reels.  To pair it up with a 6 or 6.6 rod a 2500 series reel would be perfect, look at the Daiwa Tierra 2500, you can score them on ebay for under $110 shipped, if you can ante up a few more bux, the Daiwa Fuego can be had for like $150, the all red body.

All in all if you look around you'll find grrrreat deals in the flea market here and 99% of these guys are trustworthy, I've bought and sold with great success.

Good Luck

You would be able to use alot more application's and strategies successfully with bait casters than a spinning.

Really? Enlighten me.