Sign in to follow this  
bassin is addicting

spinning reel, topwater line help

i only own spinning reels. and have only used mono 8-10lb maybe 12lb.

my reels are pretty inexpensive ($35) and of the smaller size. rods are pretty inexpensive also ($35) med to med-heavy.  but i think they all really border on the lighter side since they are not very expensive.  

i love to fish topwater... jitterbug... and hollow frogs where there are weeds etc.  but i mainly fish worms/plastics.   no jigs (bank fisherman)   a few cranks

i know that mono probably is not the best for topwater but i don't own enough reels (4) to really  "specialize" my set ups.  i want to kinda keep them universal as much as possible..  i really don't think that braid is workable for my reel size either.  buti have been wanting to change line type.  to maybe the yo-zuri ultra soft that RW is so fond of.  since i think it has less memory and would be more manageable than braid or fluoro.

would that be a good choice?  is there more "power/back bone" to the yo-zuri for top water application?

i have also considered p-line cxx??  good thought or no?

thanks in advance for your help/ideas

Braided is the most manageable line of them all, it virtually has no memory nor coiling even though it 's got the the bad habit of tangling on the rod tip.

Why you don 't think your reel can handle braided line ? 30 lb test braided is pretty thin and even small size spinning reels can handle it with no problems.

RW swears for Youzuri Hybrid ultra soft, only trubble is that it seems Cabela 's is the only one who carries it. Youzuri hybrid is a good line 8-10 lbs tests is very strong and low diameter, doesn 't coil badly. CXX is ....... you planning to uproot stumps ? it casts well, it handles like crap, thicker than 10 lbs is like fishing with a slinky but it can stand what no other line in my experience can stand, that thing is ridiculously strong and abrassion resistant.

for some reason i had stuck in my head that braid was very unmanageable and needed a leader of some sort to be most effective like flouro?  also, aren't there knot problems?  i use an improved clinch knot 99% of time..

am i correct in that mono is not ideal for topwater?

if i do get braid... what brand/test is best for a smaller spinning set up?

thanks

for some reason i had stuck in my head that braid was very unmanageable and needed a leader of some sort to be most effective like flouro? also, aren't there knot problems? i use an improved clinch knot 99% of time..

am i correct in that mono is not ideal for topwater?

if i do get braid... what brand/test is best for a smaller spinning set up?

thanks

it could use a leader in certain applications, even a shock leader. You shouldn't have really any different knot problems then you would with regular line.

I like Berkeley Power Pro, almost swear by it but it is all preference man. and I would say look around 20 lb test.

What is this Berkley Power Pro you keep mentioning?  Do you mean Berkley Fireline Braid, or Power Pro Braid.  It like saying, "I drive a Chevy Mustang."

:-?

I used mono for all applications for many years until I switched to mostly braid a few years ago. Now I use braid for all applications. Not everyone needs to use technique-specific outfits.

And who says mono's not good for topwater? I use topwater a huge amount of the time and caught plenty that way on mono, as I also do on braid.

For what it's worth, I use 15# Power Pro. Most of my mono use was 10# line, a number of brands, but mostly Trilene XL and Original Stren.

QUOTE FROM RAUL

Braided is the most manageable line of them all, it virtually has no memory nor coiling even though it 's got the the bad habit of tangling on the rod tip.

Sorry, not by a long shot ! Best for me is either Original Stren or Trielene XL Mono's. Great on top, the bit of stretch in the line helps keep those trebles from getting pulled out from my over reaction a lot of times. I use this for Jitterbugs and Shallow Cranks and i have an easy time and good hook sets.

I only go with braid on all my spinning reels, 10# fresh 15 or 20# salt, would never consider mono anymore.  A good fisherman is never quick on the trigger and only a wrist flick is required to set the hook for fish like bass.  Braid is great stuff, but nothing is perfect.

i only own spinning reels. and have only used mono 8-10lb maybe 12lb.

my reels are pretty inexpensive ($35) and of the smaller size. rods are pretty inexpensive also ($35) med to med-heavy. but i think they all really border on the lighter side since they are not very expensive.

i love to fish topwater... jitterbug... and hollow frogs where there are weeds etc. but i mainly fish worms/plastics. no jigs (bank fisherman) a few cranks

i know that mono probably is not the best for topwater but i don't own enough reels (4) to really "specialize" my set ups. i want to kinda keep them universal as much as possible.. i really don't think that braid is workable for my reel size either. buti have been wanting to change line type. to maybe the yo-zuri ultra soft that RW is so fond of. since i think it has less memory and would be more manageable than braid or fluoro.

would that be a good choice? is there more "power/back bone" to the yo-zuri for top water application?

i have also considered p-line cxx?? good thought or no?

thanks in advance for your help/ideas

MONO is the BEST for top water fishing, I use a good sufix mono

don't know if it's ok to post this here or not.. maybe a competitor and all but here goes..

Great Comprehensive Line Guide

http://www../articles/fishing-line-guide/

I guess not.... the link was dotted out when i posted it.. filtered i guess... pm me if your curious.

I only go with braid on all my spinning reels, 10# fresh 15 or 20# salt, would never consider mono anymore. A good fisherman is never quick on the trigger and only a wrist flick is required to set the hook for fish like bass. Braid is great stuff, but nothing is perfect.

Al Linder once said, at the Great Eastern Spots Expo; at a presentation he was giving that mono is the best choice when top water fishing because the reflexes are so quick for most, when we see a strike we will be ahead of the hook set he advised

1. wait until you feel the weight of the fish

2. Use Mono, it is more forgiving

I guess you are better than this than Al linder.

Later that same day, BILL DANCE; said that he has lost some excellent top water fish by reacting faster than the hook was set; oppsss I am sorry , you must be better than this then Bill to, what was I thinking???????

I guess you are better than this than Al linder.

Just good enough to know what I'm doing and what works for me.

I do not carry more than 1 rod when I'm freshwater fishing and braid (with leader) is my choice.  It really isn't too difficult to feel the weight of the fish and to learn how to use ones own equipment.

I just go out and catch fish, I don't need the "perfect set up".