Sign in to follow this  
Rebel Angler

Need new crankin rod an reel

Anyone have any recommendations for a good cranking rod and reel thats not gonna break the bank?

Any suggestions let me know

thanks!

Combination packages from the big retailers are the best value

and often on sale. Focus on the reel. I recommend the Shimano

Citica with whatever Cabela's or BPS matches it up with. Something

like this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102965_100003000_100000000_100003000_100-3-0

The rods can usually be swapped within the brand. For cranking

get a Medium Heavy Power/ Moderate Action rod.

NEVER pay retail! The retailers rotate their sale items,

but these combinations are always on sale sometime during

the year.

8-)

I would recommend a BPS Crankin Stick for the rod, great cranking rod at an even better price.  For the reel, it depends on what speed you want.  Alot of guys, myself included, like a slower reel for cranks.  I use a Curado E5 for Mid-Deep cranks and a Daiwa Sol for shallow-mid cranks.  I would suggest a BPS Extreme reel, they are offered in all gear ratios and speeds

I second the extreme reel and crankin stick from BPS. If you can wait, you will probably be able to find them both on sale in the near future. They seem to go on sale about 4x a year.

I would suggest the M power for anything down to 6-8ft. and the MH if you want a good mid depth crankbait rod.

I to recommend the Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels. I've had several over the years and never had any type of problem with any of them. They recently had some on clearance for $40. That's a great price for a 7bb reel!

The Bass Pro Crankin Stick is also a good rod for the money. I'm not sure if they offer these two as one of their combo deals but like already stated they put them on sale individually several times a year.  

I to recommend the Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels. I've had several over the years and never had any type of problem with any of them. They recently had some on clearance for $40. That's a great price for a 7bb reel!

The Bass Pro Crankin Stick is also a good rod for the money. I'm not sure if they offer these two as one of their combo deals but like already stated they put them on sale individually several times a year.  

I don't know if I have ever seen a Crankin' Stick combo on sale which is surprising, they sell almost everything else in combo form.

I would recommend a BPS Crankin Stick for the rod, great cranking rod at an even better price

I just purchased one tonight. their on sale 59.94. I am still trying to decide on the reel. Have my eye on the pflueger president B/C

A bit out of your budget but I use a Shimano Curado 201dpv I got off ebay and a Shimano Compre Cranking rod in 7' M action.  Works flawlessly!