Sign in to follow this  
zbigbadaaron

7:1 gear ratio have an advantage over 6:3 gear ratio?

Depends how your fishing it.

The 7.1 is nice for when a fish charges at you, you can take up line quicker in order to either set the hook or just pick up the slack and help keep tension on the line.  Otherwise when fishing the bait, there's no distinct advantage.  Maybe the convenience of a quick retrieve for making another cast a little faster.  That's all I know of though.  I bought a 7.1 just for this purpose, to be a worm/jig reel.  

As many will say, it's not so much the ratio and more about the IPT of the reel.  Higher IPT means more line per crank making the bait move faster.

More time is spent casting and retrieving than reeling in fish. I personally found that I was fishing way too fast with 7:1 reels. Went back to 6.3:1 and 5:1 for some techniques.

The 7.1 is nice for quick retrieve, however, you just have to make yourself slow down when worm fishing or working any slow bait.

I also like the 7.1 for jigs so I can crank it back in fast when Ive worked it past my target area.

When worm fishing the reel is not used to retrieve the lure(if you are fishing it right)! The rod is used to work worms/jigs and the reel is used simply to pick up slack! And that is where the high speed comes in.

When that fish hits the jig on the fall and swims towards the boat, you'll be thankful for the increased line recovery offered by a 7:1 ratio reel.

When that fish hits the jig on the fall and swims towards the boat, you'll be thankful for the increased line recovery offered by a 7:1 ratio reel.

Absolutely, I wish they made a 10:1 ratio reel when they charge the boat. You cannot get line in fast enough sometimes.  

Ahh no   :)

When worm fishing the reel is not used to retrieve the lure(if you are fishing it right)! The rod is used to work worms/jigs and the reel is used simply to pick up slack! And that is where the high speed comes in.

You are correct but when I first started using 7.x reels I found myself crankin in a little extra when I would crank in the slack due to the high ratio and more line being retrieved with each turn so I had to pay attention more at first.  The number of turns of the handle are usually less than with 6.x ratios for crankin in the same amount of line.

Absolutely, I wish they made a 10:1 ratio reel when they charge the boat. You cannot get line in fast enough sometimes.

No need. If you want an even high Line Recovery rate, use a spinning reel. 8-)