Sign in to follow this  
bassin is addicting

need help picking new spinning reel...and questions

help please..

i have always picked out a cheap reel... under $35.  they have worked ok.  until now.  i am fishing 3-5 times week. they are not holding up well.

i am getting ready to order from Cabela's.  where i can pick up more Yo-Zuri line at same time.

they have these on sale... or i am open to other suggestions.  i don't have more than $60 to spend.   :'(

Cabela's Prodigy model PD1500B $60  was $100

Quantum Kinetic model KT1oPTiA $40 was $90

Pflueger President model 6730 $60

also, stupid question..... when a reel says "line capacity" and lists 4lb.  does that mean that i shouldn't put 6lb Yozuri Hybrid ult-soft on it??  :-/

i really appreciate all your ideas/suggestions.  if you know of others that i should consider and where to get them.....i'm open.  

thanks..._

Out of those listed the Kinetic is a really nice real for that price. A buddy of mine has one and it really is a nice real and hasn't had any problems with it in the past few seasons.

As far as line all that is saying is that for 4lb test it will hold x amount of line. higher lb test it will go down in how much it will hold. However I wouldnt go putting on 17lb when it clearly states 4lb and its a small reel. A decent mid size reel will be able to hold 6-14 or so lb test all day long. I believe mine is rated at 6lb and im running powerpro 20#.... you should be fine running 6-8 on that tho.

You should also take a look at some Shimano reels like the Spirex and Sedona which both go for 60 dollars at Cabelas, they won't be marked down but are both great reels.  Personally I like the Sedona better.  Although, I have to admit the Quantum Kinetic PTi is a good reel at a bargain. :D

I own two Pflueger Presidents (6735) and (6730) and I love both of them. I also have two Trions which are only 40.00. and they are great reels for the price.

i would suggest checking out ffo-tackle's website. they have quite a few abu garcia cardinals for good prices. even though they say they are reconditioned , they look/feel new to me. also , they include a freebie of some type in every order.

:D

If I was interested in a Pflueger President, I'd pick one up from my local Walmart instead of paying shipping from Cabelas. Now if you live near Cabelas, that's another story.

Of those 3 from Cabelas I would go with the Prodigy reel which is made by Daiwa for Cabelas. I have the B/C reel and it is d**n good and have handled the reel in store but picked up the Daiwa Regal Xi off ebay for cheap.

Even though I'm a Quantum guy I couldn't recommend the Kinetic A but would reommend the Kinetic B

Don't overlook the Shimano Sahara. It's priced at 80 bucks and is a darn nice reel for the money. I have the 2500 size spooled with Yozuri 6 lb. test and it's a good set up. I have not used the others you listed, so I can't comment.

of the three,

id go with the pflueger..... they make a quality reel (though the others would be just fine as well).

as far as size, if your bass fishing..... id go with a 2500 or 3000 size equivalent.

and i personally wouldnt put anything over 10lb test on a spinner of that size.

most of my reels are spooled with suffix braid 8/30, and works great (their all spinners)

though not on your list of choices, i thought id mention it anyway...as i saw it mention above as well..

the shimano sahara..... its a great reel, i own one and love it....(mine is the tiny 500 size though.. spooled with suffix braid 2/6)

If I was interested in a Pflueger President, I'd pick one up from my local Walmart instead of paying shipping from Cabelas. Now if you live near Cabelas, that's another story.

Not all Wal-Marts carry Pflueger spinning reels, the ones I've been to only carry the Asaro baitcaster, I kinda wish they did though, I'd have a few more spinning setups.  The President is always my recommendation for an affordable spinning reel, I feel its the best in the price range, but I have never really fished many Shimano spinning reels.  I have a friend that has a Sahara and really likes it.

That's funny because the half-dozen Walmarts right around here only carry the President spinning reel and Pflueger's bottom of the line baitcasters. I've thought about picking up a President, but they only carry one size and it's just too heavy.

I guess it depends on the location of your stores and what mod setting they use.  I used to work at Walmart for about 10 years.  Not there now.

Around here though, I have about 7 of those stores within less than an hour's driving time of me, and not one of them carry's the Pflueger President spinning reel.  Just the Asaro baitcaster.

The Prodigy 1500 is NICE! I have one and it's been a gem for 2 years now. The Tournament ZX is also very nice for a little less cash when on sale.