Sign in to follow this  
wagn

Self Adjusting cast control?

According to Bassmaster.com the new Quantum KVD Tour reel will have a self-adjusting cast control. What does this even mean? and how could it possibly work? I checked out quantum's web page and couldn't find any more info.

Here's the link. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/news/story?page=b_spotlight_productshowcase

It's the second product down

While they redesigned the brake system (looks like a complicated version of Daiwa's Mag system) its just marketing hype.

Agreed on the hype.  If you want anything self adjusting you'd have to spend the big bucks and spring for the DC (Digital Control) line reels from Shimano (Calais/Calcutta) which run ~$600

It's essentially a redesigned version of a centrifugal braking system.  You could say that any centrifugal braking is "self adjusting" since the braking force increases with the velocity of the spool.

I THINK their new cast control is supposed to be more sensitive to the acceleration of the spool which is why they are calling it self adjusting.

They're obviosly marketing it, but by calling it "hype" makes it sould like it doesn't actually work, or isn't an improvement.  I wouldn't call it hype without trying it (which I haven't).

I ain't buyin' into that. I would be interested to see how many are going to "bite". My best guess is that it would be something similar to shimano's digital control technology as already mentioned.

I ain't buyin' into that. I would be interested to see how many are going to "bite". My best guess is that it would be something similar to shimano's digital control technology as already mentioned.

I'm not telling anyone how well it works because (as mentioned), I haven't tried it. But I have taken one of these reels apart, and I can tell you that it is NOT anything like the Shimano DC system. It is a 9-arm centrifugally based system that is configured a little differently than any other I'd seen before. It looked like the arms are intended to move more dramatically based on the acceleration/decelleration of the spool. I thought, "Hmmm, interesting".

I was told (by someone I believe) that KVD has been using a reel with this system for a while and he likes it better than the Tour Edition he had been using.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on it. Just passing on what I know/heard. I don't plan on getting one for myself.

Until someone figures out how to put a sensor inside the line leveling guide on the reel so it can monitor whether or not line is being pulled from the spool and at what rate and feed that data back to the reel braking system, there will never be true self-adjusting cast control.

Until someone figures out how to put a sensor inside the line leveling guide on the reel so it can monitor whether or not line is being pulled from the spool and at what rate and feed that data back to the reel braking system, there will never be true self-adjusting cast control.

http://www.***.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SHCDC.html

http://www.***.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SHCDC.html

Have you used one Flechero?  I've fished with a Calais DC a couple of times.  Very smooth, but I'm not a fan of the DC.  If you continually cast the same way with the same wind & get it set properly its awesome.  The problem is I'm constantly casting in different directions, different distances, and maybe even different casting methods (roll cast, flip, etc).  I spent more time adjusting the reel than fishing.

I'll stick with the other "self adjusting" sysem you recomended...  the good ole thumb.

I 've backlashed my friend Paco 's Calais DC .... it was one heck of a backlash.  B)

I 've backlashed my friend Paco 's Calais DC .... it was one heck of a backlash. B)

Yep, I thought so.

Ive looked at them several times (almost bought one) and if it was as perfect as the marketing hype I would probably buy one.

I will admit its probably the closest thing to a flawless cast on the market today.

Not exactly marketing hype, the reel is great but if what you are looking is for a reel that will never ever backlash and that will never ever need at least some degree of thumb ( even a minimal ammount of thumbing ) then better wait a couple of decades of bc reel development until such thing appears.

I had to try ya know  ;), turned out that I can backlash reely good it too.  B)

But as with other reels, we all know that the thin line between a great flawless cast and a mega birdnest depends on how good you are at setting the braking system and how good you are at thumbing, the looser you set the brakes, the looser you set the tension or in the case of these reels depending on which configuration you set you 'll need more or less thumbing.

I've never used the DC...  but according to the literature, the new versions are much better than the originals.

I like my thumb...  it even worked well with sub par reels so I know it works great with nice reels.   ;D ;D

Amazing how we're still using the cave man technology, "the thumb".

Anyone ever burn there thumb during a cast?

The first time I cast a steez I didnt check and had the mag brakes set on 1 and really loaded the rod during the cast.  It actually burned a blister on my thumb but I didnt let it backlash.  Hurt for the rest of the day.

I'm not telling anyone how well it works because (as mentioned), I haven't tried it. But I have taken one of these reels apart, and I can tell you that it is NOT anything like the Shimano DC system. It is a 9-arm centrifugally based system that is configured a little differently than any other I'd seen before. It looked like the arms are intended to move more dramatically based on the acceleration/decelleration of the spool. I thought, "Hmmm, interesting".

I was told (by someone I believe) that KVD has been using a reel with this system for a while and he likes it better than the Tour Edition he had been using.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on it. Just passing on what I know/heard. I don't plan on getting one for myself.

I aprreciate the update. Glad to hear that it is not similar. Fresh ideas are a good thing. 8-)

Amazing how we're still using the cave man technology, "the thumb".

Three billion years of mother Nature 's technollogical development and fine tunning vs 50 years of human development.

I figured it was hype. I just can't believe their advertising that it will eliminate backlashes.

I wonder how many people will fall for this, buy it, and then return it when they still need to control it like a regular BC reel.

It probably works if there is no wind and you throw a perfect cast otherwise they would make the claim that it prevents a backlash.

But the truth be known and as it has been said here, the best and most reliable cast control is yer trusty thumb.