Sign in to follow this  
botzitaliano

need advice!!

i have 2 questions; first when fishing a plastic worm with a spinner reel, and the line spooling up seats loosely.  what is the major cause of this?  or is it just inevitable?  im using a pflueger president w/ 10lb trilene xt if that matters. is braid a better choice than the mono?

and second my baitcaster the shimano curado on a 6'6'' med, its currently strung up with 12lb trilene xt.  i was thinking of switching to braid.  any suggestions on a brand and test, that will still allow smooth casting and solid hook sets??

XT is a good line, but 10 # is a bit much for spinning reels. 8# is as high as you want to go. Any light bait + heavier line on a spinning reel = trouble.

You can use braid on a spinning reel. I use 20# Sufix with a 12# mono leader. There's hundreds of opinions about line around here, it comes down to personal preference.

im not to familar with braid,  do you have to have a mono leader?  or can you just tie the tackle on direct?  whats the reasoning behind it?  sorry if this sounds dumb but im fairly new.

I'm not a big braid fan , I only use it when flipping / pitching the real nasty stuff or CR in weedy situations. Braid is not good around rocks and would be my last choice for the reels you have. I would go with the Curado for worm fishing with 12# Flourocarbon line and 8# mono or flouro with your spinning reel.

T

The main reason line spools loosely onto a spinning reel is that the lure doesn't provide enough resistance to pull it tight as you reel it in. Try a spinnerbait or crankbait and it will spool up tighter. Otherwise, after a while of fishing the worm you may have to make what I call a "maintenance" cast where you aren't actively trying to fish on that cast, just cast it out and pinch the line between your fingers and reel it in for a tight wrap on the spool. Then go back to fishing again.

I use 10 pound mono on my President (6735 size). It lays on just fine, but normally I do use 8. I only went with 10 to have a little more strength. Next time I respool, it'll be fluorocarbon in an 8 pound size. I've found that fluorocarbon is MUCH stronger than mono this past season. Can't hardly break the stuff so I don't need the extra 2 pounds of pull on the mono now. Now I can go back to 8 pound and get longer casts again.

First welcome to Bass Resource

I agree with rooster.  When i use a light bait with a spinning set up the same thing will happen to me.  So I will keep a hand on the foregrip and add some resitence to the line so it spools tight.

I use Trilene XL 8lb on spinning