Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

New setup - how will this work?

I'm planning on adding a new setup to my collection sometime this winter. I have been doing a lot of research and waffeling, but I'm about 99% sure that I'm going to go with the Aldebaran 51 MG7/BCR853 GLX with 30lb Fireline braid for all of my weighted/unweighted plastics and light jigs (If I can talk my GF into getting me the Bob for x-mas ::D). Any thoughts/opinions as to why this may not be a good setup for these applications? I should point out that most of my fishing is from shore and usually around light cover.

Now that is a combo. I would think it would work beautifully for those applications. You really don't hold anything back, huh?

Well if the GF gets the reel, then I only need about $250-300 for the rod. I have no problem buying a used rod, as I have had a few great experiences dealing with the members here in the flea market forum and I will keep a close eye on ebay.

Yeah ,that's what I call goin whole hog

T

Fantastic set up! I have both the Aldebaran MG7 and the Core MG7 on 3 power BCR GLX rods... amazingly light and wicked sensitive! You will absolutely love it!  And yes, it will be perfect for t-rigs and jigs up to 3/8 oz are in the zone with the 803/853!

NewAngler,

I was actually a little hesitant to post becuase I thought other might see it as bragging. But as much as I want people to tell me how great this setup will be, I also want to hear any negative feedback as well before I make my final decision.

Bronzefly,

I feel as though I am always asking for your advice, and it is very much appreciated. My next question for you is how does the performance of the Aldebaran compare to the Core, are they identical? I think I would prefer the Aldebaran MG7 because of the longer handle (84mm) vs the Core MG7 (80mm). Also, I just prefer the plain look of the Bob slightly more.

Fantastic set up! I have both the Aldebaran MG7 and the Core MG7 on 3 power BCR GLX rods... amazingly light and wicked sensitive! You will absolutely love it! And yes, it will be perfect for t-rigs and jigs up to 3/8 oz are in the zone with the 803/853!

Before you buy, look at the 854 which I bought from Bronzefly.

Much like the MBR 843 v 844, they are much different rods.

For weighted soft plastics and jigs, I would recommend the

BCR 854 or the MBR844C.

8-)

RW,

I like to fish weightless plastics a lot, and when I do fish them weighted it is usually t-rigged with a 1/8oz bullet weight. Occasionally I will step it up to a 1/4oz bullet weight in deeper water. And as for jigs, they will be in the 1/4-1/2oz range. This is why I'm looking at the 3 power rod.

I agree with RW's comment about an 854. I can understand if you are trying to get (1) rod to cover unweighted and weighted, but the 854 may be the better rod in this situation. Ideally I think you need two rods for what you have listed. A 3/16oz weight plus any soft plastic fit work great with the 854 and it would make a perfect 3/8-1/2oz jig rod. I would recommend trying to hold the two side by side before making your decision. I found my BCR 854 GLX for $225 and it is in great condition. Keep your eyes open. Whatever you end up getting, I am sure you will love it. Bronzefly has also been a great help to me as well.  :D

Bronzefly,

I feel as though I am always asking for your advice, and it is very much appreciated. My next question for you is how does the performance of the Aldebaran compare to the Core, are they identical? I think I would prefer the Aldebaran MG7 because of the longer handle (84mm) vs the Core MG7 (80mm). Also, I just prefer the plain look of the Bob slightly more.

Thank you guys for the kind words - I'm glad to help any way I can...  Performance wise, they're practically identical. The differences are appearance and handle length. I'm currently searching for an 85 or 90mm handle for my Core MG7 as the 80mm handle is driving me nuts! It may not seem like much, but for some reason the Aldebaran handle is much more comfortable.

Regarding the rod choice, the 4 power rod is nice for sure and handles 1/2 oz. jigs better than the 3 power Loomis rods. The extra fast action on the 3 powers just pairs perfectly for pitching t-rigs and 1/4 or even 3/8 oz jigs. I was out yesterday pitching a 1/8oz pegged t-rig 6" ribbon tail worm with 17lb FC on the Core MG7 on the BCR 803 GLX and was amazed at the distance and accuracy achieveable with that combo - even with the heavy line! While the 4 power wouldn't be a bad choice, I just can't get away from the 3 power with this specific reel... it's easily one of my favorite combos ever.

Roadwarrior and Bronzefly..............yall are crazy wealths of knowledge. Two of the many great dudes on this site.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rand

RW,

I just got back from work and checked the forum. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that listing in the Flea Market :D. I really didn't want to make any more purchases until winter/spring, but I guess I don't have a choice now. I can just throw my Curado E7 on it until I get the Aldebaran.