Sign in to follow this  
South FLA

Cool Bearing Video

Who says ceramic bearings are overkill?

:D

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.

IMPO an out of focus video without sound doesn't prove a thing to me......

(the tape on the line just keeps it so all is tight and the spool is weighted) Willing to bet that the reel has all brakes turned off and no lateral pressure being applied to spool shaft ends by the cast control cap.

Definitely not a normal casting setup..

Nope doesn't prove anything..

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

would ceramic bearing have any affect on a spinning reel?

would ceramic bearing have any affect on a spinning reel?

Any bearings in a spinning reel only influence the cranking abilities of the reel..

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

What is cranking ability? Do you mean power / torque?

the ability to crank the handle and keep it cranking.

The power and torque are all in the gearing of the spinning reel, the quality of bearings can cut the torque needs down to get the rotor moving, and then smooth out the feel of the crank.

If you can imagine the rotors pinion gear runs off of the main drive gear (the crank), as well as the spool's oscillation gear (whether is be a standard gear or worm gear) running off of the main drive gear also.

This all takes a lot of power (torque) to get moving all at once, thus the reasons for higher bearing counts in spinning reels as apposed to baitcasting reels were there is very little in the way of torque to get the spool turning.

Hope this makes some sense.  

Tight Lines!!!  

What about bearings under the spool of a spinning reel to help with drag payout?? Any advantage such as a more freely spinning spool, less friction maybe so the spool is allowed to turn more easily?? I have no experience but I could see that being a plus when it comes to fishing for species that are known for long runs once hooked, maybe in saltwater fishing.

The power and torque are all in the gearing of the spinning reel, the quality of bearings can cut the torque needs down to get the rotor moving, and then smooth out the feel of the crank.

If you can imagine the rotors pinion gear runs off of the main drive gear (the crank), as well as the spool's oscillation gear (whether is be a standard gear or worm gear) running off of the main drive gear also.

This all takes a lot of power (torque) to get moving all at once, thus the reasons for higher bearing counts in spinning reels as apposed to baitcasting reels were there is very little in the way of torque to get the spool turning.

Hope this makes some sense.

Tight Lines!!!

Thanks RM.

I like spinning tackle, I guess from using it so much. What it tends to lack is power to winch fish with where casting casting reels shine. Last year I sheered the handle off a 3 bearing Daiwa Black Gold (BG15) cranking a 2+lb bass out of thin slop. It broke loose inside the drive gear. I'm ambidextrous (with tackle) so I just put the handle on the other side. I know, I should've been using casting gear.

Could a high bearing count spinning reel handle winching? A BG isn't a bad reel, for it's day.

Could a high bearing count spinning reel handle winching?

As you stated you should have used casting gear for slop.

That 2+ pounder did it have slop with it or just the fish?

Either way sounds like the reel was not cranking as freely as it needed. Also didn't the crank on that reel just screw in. I could see were to much torque would cause the threads of a crank that just screws in to fail over time...

The newer reels I have seen have a shaft and a thumb screw that screws into the shaft from the other side. Plus reel mfg' today will have already taken into consideration handling the torque.

Many of the older Daiwa® spinning reels also as stated use bushings on one side, and, list them as bearings in the count and usually on the parts list (Shimano® use to do the same things)..

One more thing that has been stated. While the number of bearings in spinning reels can make or break a quality reel. The quality of those bearings is also important and must be taken into consideration.

Tight Lines!!!  

Could a high bearing count spinning reel handle winching?

As you stated you should have used casting gear for slop.

That 2+ pounder did it have slop with it or just the fish?

Either way sounds like the reel was not cranking as freely as it needed. Also didn't the crank on that reel just screw in. I could see were to much torque would cause the threads of a crank that just screws in to fail over time...

The newer reels I have seen have a shaft and a thumb screw that screws into the shaft from the other side. Plus reel mfg' today will have already taken into consideration handling the torque.

Many of the older Daiwa® spinning reels also as stated use bushings on one side, and, list them as bearings in the count and usually on the parts list (Shimano® use to do the same things)..

One more thing that has been stated. While the number of bearings in spinning reels can make or break a quality reel. The quality of those bearings is also important and must be taken into consideration.

Tight Lines!!!

It was just the fish. The slop was just developing for the season.

Guess it's time to upgrade.

Reel Mech, do you service spinning reels as well?

Reel Mech, do you service spinning reels as well?

Yes Sir......  :D

The service form has the discount prices for baitcasters and spinning reels..

Tight Lines!!!