Sign in to follow this  
catchnm

Best Crankbait reel under $120?

I have a Citica 200 DPV but don't like the fact that it's large and heavy. What are you guys using?

under $120...Pflueger Trion maybe, have never used one but have heard good things.  I had an '08 Energy that I got for $80 last Christmas when they went on sale.  A good reel at an even better price, kinda bulky though.  I would say if you can find a "Power" Energy on eBay for around that then buy it.

Well I'll probably get slammed for this but I happen to think the Bass Pro Shops reels are good ones for their prices. I have several of the 08 Extremes and love them, got a 5.4:1 for cranking. The Extreme sells for $80 new, on sale can be had for $60 (no sale currently that I know of though). The Rick Clunn model is also available in a 5.4:1 ratio for cranking as well. It sells for $110 retail but is actually on sale now for $90. I think they're solid reels, aluminum frames, brass gearing, multiple drag discs inside, Rick Clunn even has dual brakes, magnetic and centrifugal.

Well I'll probably get slammed for this but I happen to think the Bass Pro Shops reels are good ones for their prices. I have several of the 08 Extremes and love them, got a 5.4:1 for cranking. The Extreme sells for $80 new, on sale can be had for $60 (no sale currently that I know of though). The Rick Clunn model is also available in a 5.4:1 ratio for cranking as well. It sells for $110 retail but is actually on sale now for $90. I think they're solid reels, aluminum frames, brass gearing, multiple drag discs inside, Rick Clunn even has dual brakes, magnetic and centrifugal.

I always over look BPS reels when suggesting but they seem very good for the money

I was looking at both these BPS reels this morning. I'm leaning towards the Fritz reel. Thanks for the replies.

While your looking at BPS reels I recommend the Pro Qualifier 6.4:1. At 26" per turn I think it is a great all purpose reel.

yeah i have two of the rick clunns i use them for lipless cranks and one for mid to deep cranks. i love them for the price they are very smooth and well put together reels. :)

The Shimano Citica 200E is a great option for less than $120... Plus its VERY compact and light.

The Shimano Citica 200E is a great option for less than $120... Plus its VERY compact and light.

x2

I have a Citica200E and love it.Great for cranking

Guest beowulfx71

I have the Trion reel, it is a very finicky reel I like my old Abu 5000 better, if I was you Id probably stick with the Citica, or look for a used higher end reel.

Buy the BPS David Fritts reel when it's on sale and get two for that price.

Not too well know, but Cabelas Prodigy round reel is my favorite. Good drag,cast well, rarely birdsnests. On sale for less than 80 dollars. BPS Extremes are good when on sale too.

x2

X3. That's what I'm using.

Not too well know, but Cabelas Prodigy round reel is my favorite. Good drag,cast well, rarely birdsnests. On sale for less than 80 dollars. BPS Extremes are good when on sale too.

I agree and Cabelas has a great return policy if u aren't satisfied

x2

X3. That's what I'm using.

X4 I love how small the new Shimano's are.