Sign in to follow this  
jbtcardfan

Need Suggestions Please

I'm a weekend pond angler looking for a moderately priced spinning combo to go with my Shimano Curado 200/Fenwick 6' Eagle GT baitcasting outfit.  I really like my baitcasting combo, so I'm wanting basically the same type of performance from a spinning outfit, albeit with lighter line (I'm using 10 lb. test on the Curado).

Any help would be most welcome.

Thank You,

James T.

Louisville, KY

I would take a look at a Shimano Clarus Medium action spinning rod in your favorite length - they have a lifetime warranty - and consider pairing it up with a Shimano Symetere 2500.  That would make a nice combo for you for about $170 TYD retail.

If you want a great deal, get last year's Techna AVS66MHF from Cabela's.  It's regularly $199, but on sale for $129.99.  Otherwise you can check out the new HMG's or HMX's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0030061117394a&navCount=4&podId=0030061&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

Just as a heads up...I went to Gander Mountain today and got a Shimano Saros 2500 reel for $99.99.  It's the step above the Symetre and usually sells for at least $129.99 at most places.  I haven't fished with it yet, but it seems like an amazing reel.  You may want to go check it out.

The Saros is a great reel and tried it out before I ended up getting the Sahara.

jb, you asked about a fenwick rod. Purefishing's outlet has the Fenwick Techna AV's being clearanced out at $114. I would suggest the 7' MF. Their web page is www.ffo-tackle.com. I love the AV's.

Unless you have to deal with tree branches and brush go longer than 6'. You will have better hooksets and your casts' will be longer.