Sign in to follow this  
The Rooster

Splitting hairs on line size

I have two rods that are virtually identical except for one is a medium and the other is a medium heavy.

On the medium I have 12# fluorocarbon.

On the medium heavy I have 14# fluorocarbon.

Is this ridiculous??

It just seems to me that the medium heavy should have heavier line on it for what the rod's power is and what I use it for but I don't really need the line heavier than the 14# I have on it now so I didn't upsize it anymore than I had to. And the medium I'm totally satisfied with at 12#.  Just seems there's hardly any difference there though when I think about it.

For reference, these rods are Shimano Compre, medium is 8 - 17 lb. rated, and the medium heavy is 10 - 20 lb. rated. I use the medium primarily for jerkbaits, light T-rigs, sometimes a crankbait, and smaller spinnerbaits or buzzbaits. I use the medium heavy for most spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, jigs, and heavier T-rigs.

I use two Medium action rods, one is a 6'6" fast action and has 10 pound Trilene 100%, I use it for lipless cranks, 1/4oz spinnerbaits, and my big heavy Bagley Balsa B's. The other medium is a extra fast action 7'  with 10 pound Trllene 100% which I use exclusivley for Wiggle Warts and crankbaits that dive deeper than 4'.

My medium heavy action rods go like this...

6'6" with 65 pound braid for skipping jigs under brush

6'10" with 17 pound Trilene 100% for spinnerbaits and pitching docks

7' with 17 pound Trilene 100% for flukes, paddle-tails, and Scrounger Head

7'3" with 17 pound Trilene 100% for light grassline fishing (texas-rigs and jigs, no senkos)

I guess I'm a little technique/bait specific :-[

Given the typical sized largemouth in lakes up here, and the fact smallmouths are typically caught in more open water (except some places I fish on a local river)

I'm downsizing all my line this year.

6lb Y/Z on all my spinning gear, 8lb Y/Z on crankbait rods, and 10lb on every thing else.

Y/Z typically has a pretty high break strength though.

If you aren't breaking your line, it makes sense to 'me' that lighter is better. Offering less visibility and more natural action in your presentation.

I use a medium rod for light cranks and medium heavy for everything else except pitching and flipping. My medium rods I use 8-10 mono My medium heavy rods have between 10-14 mono. I also have other reels spooled with fluorocarbon if I need to swap out for more depth but are not attached to rods. I also have a glass rod that I use to roll cast both spinnerbaits and larger balsa baits which has 20 lb line. I only use it for short distance heavy cover targets. That's just me ;)

Sounds about right. 8-) I generally use 10# Trilene XL on Med and 14# XL on MH.

I use 10# yozuri on both my m & mh..stuff is strong enough. Now if your fishin heavy cover, I'd go up to 12 or 15.. ;)

Spinning tackle: Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Hybrid Ultra Soft #6

Baitcasting gear: Hybrid #12

8-)