Sign in to follow this  
midnighthrasher

New reel : Core 50 or Calais

I have both. The Calais is a more traditional

reel which is a bit heavy and some find bulky.

I suspect you will find the new Core 50MG7

more to your liking.

On the other hand, if you are throwing bigger,

heavier lures, the Calais might just be the ticket.

I have mine mounted on a St. Croix Legend Elite

EC70MHF.  This rig is used for Mattlures Baby Bass

and 3/4 oz. Ledgebuster Single Willow Blade Spinnerbaits.

8-)

unless those trebles are hanging from something like a triple trout or a huddleston, get the core. i just got one about a week ago. what a reel! you will not regret it, unless the money was supposed to go toward your mortgae or something similar.

I view these two reels as VERY different in both size, shape, feel, and most effective technique utilization.

The Calais is a phenomenal casting and buttery smooth on the retrieve. Thats why for me, they're best possible use is for moving baits - crankbaits and spinnerbaits for example - these techniques allow you to take full advantage of the reels capabilities.

The Core 50MG7 is a pitching machine for me. I'm sure it could be used in many ways, but I've found it in the zone for pitching smaller jigs and plastics.

i think the Calais is way too heavy of a reel to be compared to the Core 50 . that's my opinion !  ;)

I view these two reels as VERY different in both size, shape, feel, and most effective technique utilization.

The Calais is a phenomenal casting and buttery smooth on the retrieve. Thats why for me, they're best possible use is for moving baits - crankbaits and spinnerbaits for example - these techniques allow you to take full advantage of the reels capabilities.

The Core 50MG7 is a pitching machine for me. I'm sure it could be used in many ways, but I've found it in the zone for pitching smaller jigs and plastics.

From a man that knows and understands.

-Kent

I agree with the above. The calais 100a is my favorite reel. If you need something for spinners, meduim cranking or small swimbaits the smoothness of the calais would be really nice. If your pitching plastics or jigs the core 50 is the perfect reel. It's like a ch50mg on steroids.