Sign in to follow this  
zdunham

Taking off Side Plate on Baitcaster

Hi all. I have a problem that probably has an easy solution and I'm just being stupid. I am trying to do a little maintenance on two reels (not really good reels but good practice). One is a Pinnacle Platinum Plus and the other is a Pflueger (friend's reel) and the Pflueger is broken so I'm just messing around with it. I took off the reel handle and got the first set of bearings out on both. I can't get the second set out and I can't get the side plate off. I took out all of the screws holding the side plate on and it seems it is still being held in place on one end somehow. I don't want to just yank it off without knowing what is going to happen (if it is like a clip of some kind in there). I can't lift it high enough on the one end to shine a light in and see how it is still attached either. Has anyone run into this?

There may be a screw going through the worm gear assembly from the crank side into the opposite case. As you said definetly don't force anything. What are the symptoms of the reel that is broken?

There may be a screw going through the worm gear assembly from the crank side into the opposite case. As you said definetly don't force anything. What are the symptoms of the reel that is broken?

My friend's reel that is broken doesn't reel anymore. You can turn the handle but the spool doesn't move so I'm guessing the gears inside are for some reason not interlocked anymore (or something along those lines).

I see no other screws that I can get to on the outside so how would I get to worm gear screw? I'm new at the maintenance stuff so take it easy on me ;)

You didn't say which Flooger model, but you're probably looking for a screw behind the spool, that engages the crank side cover plate.  It isn't clear what you're asking for with the Pinnacle.

fwiw, beware!

Did you try rotating the sideplate opposite the crank about 1/8 turn counter clockwise? Lot of your lower cost reels work this way.

Daiwa uses a screw all the way from one side to another on the chassis to keep the sideplate from coming off.

Edit: I see you want the handle side plate off. Yes, there are usually three screws on the outside, and once you remove the spool you'll see one more on the inside on a lot of reels.

fwiw, beware!

Did you try rotating the sideplate opposite the crank about 1/8 turn counter clockwise? Lot of your lower cost reels work this way.

Daiwa uses a screw all the way from one side to another on the chassis to keep the sideplate from coming off.

Edit: I see you want the handle side plate off. Yes, there are usually three screws on the outside, and once you remove the spool you'll see one more on the inside on a lot of reels.

So if there is one on the inside that means I have to take off the left side plate first?

on the sideplate opposite the crank handle there might button that can be pushed in so the sideplate can rotate up. give that a shot. after the sideplate rotates up the spool will slide out and youll see the last screw holding the crank sideplate on.

post-10066-130162927727_thumb.jpg

So if there is one on the inside that means I have to take off the left side plate first?

Based on that, I'm not sure you should be working on these....but, yes, if the screw is behind the spool, then you must remove the spool.  To do that, you'll have to remove the palm side plate.

fwiw, beware!

Correct. On my inexpensive Shakespeares, Pfluegers, Pinnacles, take off the sideplate opposite the handle. Remove the spool. Take out the screw that you see going into the handle sideplate. Set the reel on the side with the handle shaft pointing up. Remove the handle and the drag stuff. Remove the three chassis screws and the handle sideplate should lift up. Careful, there are a couple of springs that will stay in place if you lift slowly.

Based on that, I'm not sure you should be working on these....but, yes, if the screw is behind the spool, then you must remove the spool. To do that, you'll have to remove the palm side plate.

I figured this I'm just overly cautious even though its only a 50 dollar reel anyways. Gotta learn it all sometime.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

Once you do it a few times, it will be second nature.

I checked my junkyard, and there is a Pinnacle reel in there.  Same deal, remove the palm side plate, and there is a body screw behind the spool.  There is no latching device on this reel, the palm side plate simply twists counter-clockwise on a righty reel, with a simple interference fit.