Sign in to follow this  
CanalStalkin

Curado question

I purchased a Curado 201b and had a question. When I engage the button (like to cast it) then re-engage to reel, it has a slower feeling when I reel, but if I flick the handle quickly I hear a second little click (the button doesnt move up anymore) and it spins alot easier and faster. What is this?

EDIT: I was just messing with it again, and it seems like when I slowly turn the handle to engage the spool it does it.

Sounds like what you are trying to do is re-engage the reel without taking up any line.

Try this trick, when you have completed your cast and the lure is in the water place your thumb on the spool and crank the handle, it will re-engage without taking up line..

It works with all of my 201b's....... ;)

Tight Lines!!!

well actually, Its not even mounted on a rod or spooled with line. I just got it in the mail today and it was just something I noticed while messing with it.  I was just wondering if this was common, or if something is loose or what not.

The cross pin on the spool shaft isn't engaging into the slots in the pinion smoothly.

Is this reel used or new?

At any rate it sounds like the reel needs to be cleaned and re-lubricated

The reel is used, bought it from a member here. I was debating on getting it professionally cleaned and lubed. Guess I should. Otherwise the reel is very smooth.

You could do it yourself and save some money, it's pretty basic.

Cleaning and lube can be done yourself, however, if the problem is deeper a professional assessment is relatively inexpensive. There is saving money, then there is money well spent. Good luck!

When you move the handle slowly, the anti reverse bearing is also moving slow. It could be that bearing that you feel. Not a problem. Is the drag loosened when you do this? You know the spool slips when the drag is loose. Also, if the cast control knob is loosen, the spool shaft may not fully engage the pinion gear. I would spool it up, tighten the drag, set the cast  control and then see if it reacts the same way.

Skeeter, I was messing with the drag right now and when I loosen the drag and engage the spool It is perfect. I only get the tight feeling when the drag is tightened. Like I said, after I engage the spool and feel that tightness, I can give the handle a fast flick and it will click a second time and "free up" completely. (when the drag is tightened)