Sign in to follow this  
JCL523

Rod and line questions??

I know a lot of this stuff has been covered (I used the search function numerous times and read about 9,000 posts!! Lol!).....but I never could relate any of them to my situation.

I haven't bass fished for about 5-6 years...but decided I would get back into it this spring. I was usually a multi-purpose rod type of guy.....and I still have all of them. I am having a hard time deciding on line. I should mention, I am going to add a Lamiglas crankin' stick this year.

My current rods are Team Daiwa, All Star, and one Shimano......

I have two 6'6" medium action rods. (thinking about 12# fluoro for these)

7'6" Flippin' stick.....maybe 20# fluoro

6'10" Medium Heavy.......I'm thinking about mono for this rod. Thought maybe I could use it for frogs and other topwater.

Lastly...the crankin' stick will probably be 12# mono.

These are all casting rods.

But my big question.....how do I decide between green and clear line? I would think you would want green in some stained/tinted water......and clear, well...in clear water. But just wanted to make sure.

Please provide feedback on my above "plans". I don't know....I could be way off.

Thanks in advance.

Actually I'd use low vis green in clear water that has a green tint.

BTW on using mono with frogs I hope you mean buzz frogs and not hollowed belly ones. You REALLLY need braid for hollowed belly ones. While on buzz frogs you could get by with mono.

Thanks for the reply. 

Most of our lakes really don't have a green tint.  In this case, should I get the clear?

And yes.....I guess I should have been a little more specific on the frogs.  I was talking about the soft body buzz frogs.  I actually thought about lining my flippin' stick with braid and letting it double as a hollow body frog rod.  I don't think that rod has titanium guides though.  I used braid "back in the day" with ceramic guides without any problems....so maybe I'll give it a shot. 

If you want to give Yo-Zuri Hybrid a try,

I recommend #12 in green for clear water

and purple smoke for stained water. These

lines blend well and are virtually invisible.

8-)

I used to be anal about line color and finish. I could write a long diatribe about why I thought so. Still am really -old myths die hard LOL. I never seemed to notice that my buds using fluorescent mono caught fish too.

Anyway, some perspective:

A friend (a former successful tournament angler who catches 1000 bass a year) has been experimenting with fluorescent braid. He now ties direct -that is, no leader. Fluorescent yellow or red line tied directly to his jig! He took over 200 bass this way this fall. He was even top rod amongst his buds a few times.

A quote from Brian (T9 here):

"...Again continued to throw the jig on the flame green Fireline. It's to the point now where I don't even question tying directly to the bait. ..."

Here's Brian's explanation:

Just over 200 bass on the flame green FL and more recently the red PP since Halloween. My warped theory on all of this right now is that bass have to learn (be conditioned) to correlate the line with the negative experience (being caught), not necessarily a quick process in the wild. It's also proven that they can identify and distinguish all colors of line once so trained (conditioned).

So my theory is that since very few bass anglers, at least around my parts, ever use the very Hi-vis lines (flame green FL, Berkley XT Solar, yellow PP, golden Stren, etc.), the fish haven't "learned" to react/relate negatively to it yet. Everybody likes to throw green or clear line, and so I think sometimes it's more difficult to catch bass on these lines than on the hi-vis lines due to the extreme difference in angler use (conditioning/over-exposure).

-T9

Some links to his results:

http://www.bigindianabass.typepad.com/big_indiana_bass/page/5/

http://www.bigindianabass.typepad.com/big_indiana_bass/page/6/

If you want to give Yo-Zuri Hybrid a try,

I recommend #12 in green for clear water

and purple smoke for stained water. These

lines blend well and are virtually invisible.

8-)

x2.

yo zuri will solve most of your issues.

i agree though you may want to put some powerpro braid on your one rod there to work frogs and the like.

paul roberts that was great reading thank you!!!

while i cant seem to do it myself, i think that "invisibility" of your line is a very small factor in overall success. i think it only really really matters when in clear water using slow presentations, where the fish is negative or neutral and really inspects your lure.