Sign in to follow this  
cmatthews6485

$400 dollar budget

I have a 3 cheap 40 dollar combos right now from my local tackle shop and im looking to upgrade im not sure if i should get  2 or 3 new reels and rods on my $400 dollar budget, what are your opinions.

Better equipment doesn't necessarily catch you more fish, but it makes the experience a lot more enjoyable.  :)  I should know;  I don't catch much, but I upgrade every year.  :)

If you are looking for recommendations, it would help to know more about your situation and the techniques you use, or would like to use.  If you do some research and are patient, you can really make the most of your budget by searching for deals, using the flea market and even auction sites.

Leon

im looking for a spinning rod for my plastics and maybe jigs, a baitcasting rod for spinnerbaits and crankbaits, and maybe a seperate rod for jigs and shakeyheads

for plastics i found a great deal on a shimano cumara(CUS72M) they are normal $200-$240 and i found mine for $150 new and it is an amazing spinning rod for shakeyhead and soft plastics.  if you want a great rod i would check it out.

IMHO 400 $ is not enough for 3 quality setups. That gives you about 67 $ for each rod and each reel and there really isnt much quality to be found in reels and rods for that price. You are better off buying 2 quality set ups instead of 3 so so setups. I would recommend a Shimano Symetre spinning reel on a Mojo Bass Rod and a Shimano Citica E on a Shimano Compre rod. Thats about 400$ for 2 Quality setups.

im looking for a spinning rod for my plastics and maybe jugs, a baitcasting rod for spinnerbaits and crankbaits, and maybe a seperate rod for jigs and shakeyheads

I like jugs.

One thing to remember is you can always buy more rods than reels, and simply switch reels as needed.  :)

If it was me I think I would get only one great quality setup w/ the money.

Daiwa sol or shimano curado E -$100-150 depends if you can find the deals.

I would spend the rest of the money on a g loomis imx 843c 7' med heavy rod w/ fast action.-$200+/- if you look for deals.

This for me is by far the most versatile rod I have used. Some say the 6'6'' but for me the 7' allows for farther cast and easier/better hooksets w/ plastics.

If you buy 2 less expensive setups w/ your budget, you would eventually want to upgrade both. But this setup you will not have to. Also they are both great quality that will last you many years of use. They have good resale value if you decide to sell vs cheaper rods/reels. I know it seems like a lot of money for a rod but once you use it you will know its worth the $.

If anything just remember to spend more money on the rod than reel. You feel the bites w/ the rod/line not reel/line. 

Honestly, you should get a Revo S and put it on a MH Vendetta rod for all your heavier baits like spinnerbaits, jigs, t-rigs, some swimbaits, etc... I bought a Vendetta too and I'm looking for a Revo S right now.

Then get a Citica E and pair it up with M rated rod, which ever you choose that goes nicely with the Citica. There are plenty of $100 price mark rods such as Shimano Compre's, Quantum Engergy PT, St. Croix Mojo, etc. This set up will cover your lighter baits such as shakey head, drop shot, weightless t-rigs, wacky, live bait and should be okay for shallow crankbaits too.

These 2 set ups should be around your budget give or take and will do nicely for you.

Give these 2 a try. Also keep checking the Flea Market because a lot of good stuff at discounted price shows up often.

Citca + Bucoo, and Shimano Sahara SH2500FD + BuCoo Spin Rod 7' Medium

If I had to spend $400 today and wanted to go new and with warranty:

All Star Platinum 6'6" MF Spinning Rod

Daiwa Exceler Spinning Rod

All Star Platinum 6'6" MHF Casting Rod

Shimano Citica Reel

From ***, the total would be about $420 shipped.  If you do a search, you should find a 10% discount code that will bring the price under $380.

By going the closeout, clearance & used route, I've found Fenwick Techna AV's, All Star Platinums & Cabela's XML & XMLti for significantly under $100. 

The Techna AV's & Platinums are proven performers.  I just like the XML's.

The best time of year for bargains was Oct/Nov, but if you are patient there may be some great sales this Spring.

I will pile on with the group that says $400 is better spent on two set-ups than three. You will be happier in the long run IMHO.

I would buy a BassPro Pro Qualifier baitcast reel, and a Pflueger President spinning reel, and spend the rest on two good rods. A M-F spinning rod and a M-XF or MH-F will cover most fishing situations. Just my opinion. Enjoy the process. 8-) Good luck.

If it was me I think I would get only one great quality setup w/ the money.

Daiwa sol or shimano curado E -$100-150 depends if you can find the deals.

I would spend the rest of the money on a g loomis imx 843c 7' med heavy rod w/ fast action.-$200+/- if you look for deals.

This for me is by far the most versatile rod I have used. Some say the 6'6'' but for me the 7' allows for farther cast and easier/better hooksets w/ plastics.

If you buy 2 less expensive setups w/ your budget, you would eventually want to upgrade both. But this setup you will not have to. Also they are both great quality that will last you many years of use. They have good resale value if you decide to sell vs cheaper rods/reels. I know it seems like a lot of money for a rod but once you use it you will know its worth the $.

If anything just remember to spend more money on the rod than reel. You feel the bites w/ the rod/line not reel/line.

Be patient. G. Loomis GLX can be found

occasionally on the Flea market for $250

or so; the CU200E7 for ~$150. The MBR842C,

843C or 844C are all options to consider.

8-)

Check out St. Croix Mojo/Premier rods, Falcon Bucoo, Shimano Compre. All are good rods around $100. For spinning reels Look at Shimano Symetre/Sahara 2500's. I really like the Symetre, and the Sahara is a little cheaper.

Also if you wait til spring you can find deals at Cabelas. I got an XML rod for $35 normally they are $135

Tackle Warehouse also will have sales, but when they don't, they still rock with their awesome shipping.

I have a 3 cheap 40 dollar combos right now from my local tackle shop and im looking to upgrade im not sure if i should get 2 or 3 new reels and rods on my $400 dollar budget, what are your opinions.

Well, for baitcasting setup, check out the BPS Carbonlite combo.  Generally less than $200/setup. 

For the money, the rod is pretty kickass ... the reel, some thinks is a Revo Premier knockoff!!  Have a friend who bought the ProQualifier and he thinks it's like a better '09 Premier.  Said it casts better than his Premier ...