Sign in to follow this  
KU_Bassmaster.

Cranking Line

Haven't found anything better than Trilene XL. I was going to stick with Cajun line until I snapped off two times while casting. Not even big crankbaits either. Anybody else have line they absolutely love for cankbaits?

I've always used XT, however I'm thinking about switching over to Yo-Zuri Hybrid.  I've seen some pretty good info about it on this forum...

I would stick with mono for crankbaits.  Hybrids don't have enough stretch IMO.

Straight Flurocarbon. The less stretch helps with the depth the bait will reach, and will allow you to feel the bait better. I use a soft glass cranking rod (not made any more) and a 7'6 ML graphit rod for cranking.

I won't go back to mono unless I have to fish with graphite cranking rods that don't have the slow taper

I've tried tons of lines but always seem to come back to 10 lb big game or 10 or 12 lb Excel.  

For large crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwater I use the same rod (Lamiglas SR705R), the same reel (CTE200GT) and the same line. I want a line that I can get the maximum casting distance from, is strong, invisible and thin. That's 8lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

For spinnerbaits and lipless cranks I have a fast retrieve Calais on a St. Croix rod and the same line.

For lighter lures in all these categories, I'm going with spinning gear, Fenwick Techna AV70MM saddled with a Shimano Sustain and 6 lb Hybrid.

I'm flexible, it's not always 4 & 6 lb test, but it's always Yo-Zuri.

Straight Flurocarbon. The less stretch helps with the depth the bait will reach, and will allow you to feel the bait better. I use a soft glass cranking rod (not made any more) and a 7'6 ML graphit rod for cranking.

I won't go back to mono unless I have to fish with graphite cranking rods that don't have the slow taper

Wow, floro huh? Never would have thunked it. I'd never use floro because of the lack or stretch that you need and it doesn't seem to cast as good as mono. I use P-Line for cranking but I am thinking about changing back to Trilene XT. It was a lot more limp and it had a little more stretch.

The best crankbait line I've ever tried is the Sunline Shooter Defier.  It's a class line meaning that it breaks very close to its actual pound test rating.  I use 17lb for cranking deep and mid-depth baits and have found it to be second to none.  The biggest drawback is that it is expensive, but it lasts a very long time.  It is ultra limp and casts like a dream.

Haven't found anything better than Trilene XL. I was going to stick with Cajun line until I snapped off two times while casting. Not even big crankbaits either. Anybody else have line they absolutely love for cankbaits?

that can happen with any line.you probably had damage to it.cajun red cast is one of the best mono lines made imho.