Sign in to follow this  
central.PA.bass

Upgrading Drag on a BPS Extreme Baitcaster..

Hey all..

I just got a BPS Extreme LH reel recently.  (Got a heck of a deal on it.)  I'm not sure what I plan to use it on yet, but was thinking of using it as a backup jig or a frog reel..  The drag feels kinda weak on it (approx 10lb.)  I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a link to somehwere i could get some better drag washers or something for it to improve the drag..

how much would you think it would increase the drag to?   Also, I read on here before how others say the guts are pretty much the same as a Revo reel.. if thats the case, what washers would i need..

a little more info in case it is needed.. the model number is ETX 10HL...   the guy from bass pro shops said it was made in 2006.   

Thanks!

Take your reel apart and use some high grained sand paper on your drag washers to scuff 'em up.  The added scuffs will give the washers some extra drag.  It's a lot like brake pads.  Just don't sand them smooth.

I can't imagine anything in that reel withstanding much more than 10 lbs. of drag, let alone needing that much - even for frogging.  All you'll get by sanding the washers is a drag that stutters.

Call up BPS, or Abu garcia and order stock revo drag washers for an S, SX, or STX. They will know what you need and they will increase the drag over the BPS drag washer material by a BUNCH.

You can grease the stock Abu washers to increase startup and smoothness and still increase power dramatically.

I can't imagine anything in that reel withstanding much more than 10 lbs. of drag, let alone needing that much - even for frogging. All you'll get by sanding the washers is a drag that stutters.

The stock BPS drag washers are really thin. I wouldn't sand them just based on decreasing durability.

The reel should hold together just fine, but then again we don't really need to go down that road again do we? :)

I can't imagine anything in that reel withstanding much more than 10 lbs. of drag, let alone needing that much - even for frogging. All you'll get by sanding the washers is a drag that stutters.

Do you know this from experience?  Honest question, not bein smart.

Yes, experience.  :)

Call up BPS, or Abu garcia and order stock revo drag washers for an S, SX, or STX. They will know what you need and they will increase the drag over the BPS drag washer material by a BUNCH.

You can grease the stock Abu washers to increase startup and smoothness and still increase power dramatically.

good idea.. thanks a lot

BPS Extreme's have a 6 disc drag system. Do the Revo's?? If not then they might not work right for the fit or you might need more than one set to get enough of them all.