Sign in to follow this  
Steve1357

1984 Ambassador 5000 upgrade spool bushings to bearings

Never paid much attention to the spool bushings on each end, had some bearings I used on other projects. I replaced both bushings with bearings, amazing difference. I'm surprised.

I have 5000a from the late 70s. Reel is a tank. New bearings and new drag. Sad that it is now starting to lag when you crank it is taking almost a half a turn before the spool engages.

Maybe the winter project getting that fixed. I am really not sure were to even start.

Will say though, things fly off that reel after the upgrade.

Twitch

Parts can be hard to find on older reels. Scanning the upcoming area flea markets for a parts reel might be a good idea.

I have 5000a from the late 70s. Reel is a tank. New bearings and new drag. Sad that it is now starting to lag when you crank it is taking almost a half a turn before the spool engages.

Maybe the winter project getting that fixed. I am really not sure were to even start.

Twitch

Maybe the Reel Mechanic will chime in. I see a lot of parts on the Internet available. Start by getting a schematic and go from there.

If you don't know where to start, the Reel Mechanic can probably handle it and BassPro has a repair center you mail it to and they'll contact you with an estimate.

I believe age isn't a problem.

Edit: I see Abu might handle it also.

http://www.abugarcia.com/service.php

Twitch

Maybe the Reel Mechanic will chime in. I see a lot of parts on the Internet available. Start by getting a schematic and go from there.

If you don't know where to start, the Reel Mechanic can probably handle it and BassPro has a repair center you mail it to and they'll contact you with an estimate.

I believe age isn't a problem.

Edit: I see Abu might handle it also.

http://www.abugarcia.com/service.php

Sure can help you out right here.

The system is dirty and the grease is old and sticky.. :D

Fix: Clean and re-lubricate the reel

Tight Lines!!!

Came across this if you want to try to clean it yourself.

www.realsreels.com/servicing/Ambassadeur%205000%20service.pdf

Mikes reel repair has alot of bearings for the Abu's. I plan on getting new bearings, drag discs, and the ball bearing levelwind w/ceramic pawl for my 5600.

Great idea. I couldn't imagine how much difference just replacing the two spool bushings with two bearings made. I use vxb bearings, vxb.com, but you'll have to know what size(s) you need.

I'd like to try some new higher speed gears (mine are 4.7-1) from Mike's but $$$.

:D