Sign in to follow this  
MMan16

Flippin setup

I'm getting a Revo stx 7.1:1. But need a rod to pair it up for flippin in heavy hydrilla and grass. Also for some frog work. My question is what length power and action would be better. I know it probably Is a preference thing but this is gonna be my first flippin stix so would like some input. I like st croix but was looking into kistler and carrot stix. My price is anywhere from 150 to 250.

I bought a revo stx for the same purpose I put it on a 7' heavy action B&R Outlaw rod with 65# braid also have a st croix mojo pitching  rod that is 7'6'' medium heavy with a phlueger supreme and 15# floro st croix also makes a mojo flippin rod thats 7'11'' heavy action

I did look at the mojo but in the st croix line I was looking at the legend series they have a 7'3" extra heavy rod that I think would work well also and 8 foot flippin stick but I think that may be to long for me. I would like to be somewhere in the 7'6" area and have been thinking heavy only because of the heavy hydrilla and frog usage. I have used st croix and like them. Never used a carrot stix or kistler rod but have been reading some reviews on them and they seem pretty good.

My buddy has the old, full grip version of the LTB 7-3 rod.  Great for pitching jigs to heavy cover.

I would highly recommend the Dobyns 766 flipping stick. It's right below your max price range. It's 7'6 and has one hell of a backbone for the heaviest cover. I've never felt another 7'6 rod that felt so light, it balances much better then most 7'6 rods I have felt.

It also doubles as a GREAT frog rod. So you won't have any trouble there.

Every time I see a pro on T.V. There using 7'10 or 8 foot flippin sticks if I end up getting a 7'3"-7'6" what would be the downside of a smaller rod? The only thing I can think of is maybe less leverage.

Every time I see a pro on T.V. There using 7'10 or 8 foot flippin sticks if I end up getting a 7'3"-7'6" what would be the downside of a smaller rod? The only thing I can think of is maybe less leverage.

7'3-7'6 is pretty sufficient. 6'6 and 7fters are where I really feel as though I lose the advantage of a longer rod.

I couldn't imagine using a 6'6" for flippin. I always see technique specific flippin rods and they always seem to start at 7 and go to 8. That's why I was gonna go with a 7'3"-7'6" I figure its a happy medium. I just want to make sure I'm not losing anything by not getting a big rod. 

I just got a dobyns 766 savvy rod. I think this would be perfect for what your looking for and it's right in the middle of your price range.