Sign in to follow this  
fishfordollars

Bought My First spool of XPS flourocorbon Last night

I'm not a big fan of flouro, but decided to give it a try. any suggestions on it? I sprayed it down with line conditioner, but not at all sure if I will like it. Going to use it with a small crankbait to begin with. How is the knot strength compared to say big Game. Should i be wary of strong hook sets?

Thanks,

Jack

Well... I've been dabbling in FC, as well as reading a bunch. The following are my opinions on it right now.

In general, I've found FC to be more of a pain to deal with in general, compared to mono. The only interest I have in it is the fact that it sinks -the biggest reason for the sensitivity of FCs I believe. The second is it's "slow" stretch ability (not low stretch), which under light loads (like a fish bite) might offer some sensitivity advantage. Another MIGHT be vibration carrying capacity due to its density, but I'm skeptical at this point that that would matter very much. Anyway, potential sensitivity advantages are my interest in FC.

The claims of "invisibility", LOW stretch, and abrasion resistance, are simply erroneous, or moot in the first case.

IME (only tried several brands so far), FC is brittle (susceptible to shock as it is less elastic than mono), vulnerable to surface damage (which really rears it's head in knot tying skill requirements), and expensive.

Brands vary greatly in "quality". I think this is less that some are of poor quality, but rather they have different qualities. Vanish is an example I think. It's a good line, but it's soft and easily damaged: like trying to use a light Trilene XL for heavy cover work. Most bass anglers hate it.

Some brands do appear to have better abrasion resistance (none of it great IME) and some handle better. But beware that good handling often means softer and/or thinner. Like all lines ignore lb test rating and go by diameter, to match existing lines you know. Most FCs appear rated fairly thin for the lb test rating seen nowadays, more similar to Trilene XL. Berkley 100% is an exception -it's the opposite.

So far, IME again, it looks like most spinning tackle can handle FCs up to about .011, with wide spool reels handing up to .013 OK; for an adequate casting range. But such diameters come through the guides making quite racket, and snub the cast down pretty quick. I do wonder how guide size and placement, as well as rod action, would help this.

So far, I like XPS. I hear it's made by Seagur so probably Seagur has some good stuff, but I haven't tried any. Another that has been rated high (by testing) is Maxima FC. Haven't tried that one either.

So...I am still experimenting with FC, for deeper presentations, and if I find it does not give me an appreciable sensitivity difference, then I'll go back to mono/CoP for the simplicity of maintenance. The advantage of UV invulnerability is not that large considering FCs brittleness susceptibility to damage. I end up re-spooling anyway.

Two things I do with mono: cover mono filled reels to block sun when not in immediate use, and soak it prior to fishing if I want it to sink. It won't sink like FC but it does sink better when thoroughly soaked.

Some worthwhile reading:

Scroll to "The Truth About Fluorocarbon". It's in 4 parts.

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/tackle/page/2/

I have been using Fluorocarbon line for three years now and I will NEVER use mono for anything except topwater or crankbaits.

I have used P-Line, Seagar Pro, Invisix and XPS.  I would rate them as follows:

1 XPS

2 P-Line

3 Seagar Pro

4 Invisix

5 Trilene 100% (AWFUL, HORRIBLE)

XPS casts extremely well, is very strong and holds good knots.  P-line is close but loses on price usually.  Seagar Pro is okay but I didn't like Invisix.  Trilene is just too stiff. 

Always tie a Palomar knot that is well lubricated.  This will ensure that the knot doesn't break on a hook set.  I generally use 8lb on my spinning reels and 14lb on my baitcasters.

I LOVE Fluorocarbon!  The sensitivity is an order of 10 times better than mono!  I can feel much more than mono and that means I am able to react and set the hook faster.  I have read the stretch reports and the technicalities of stretch but it seems like it doesn't stretch as much as mono which results in a stronger hookset.  I don't have many break offs setting a hook either.  I don't respool as often with Fluorocarbon either.

It casts great on a baitcaster and is manageable on a spinning reel.  I use a wide spool spinning reel and that helps.  I have the same level of issues of line twist with Mono and Fluorocarbon. 

I hope you end up liking XPS as much as I do!

Well... I've been dabbling in FC, as well as reading a bunch. The following are my opinions on it right now.

In general, I've found FC to be more of a pain to deal with in general, compared to mono. The only interest I have in it is the fact that it sinks -the biggest reason for the sensitivity of FCs I believe. The second is it's "slow" stretch ability (not low stretch), which under light loads (like a fish bite) might offer some sensitivity advantage. Another MIGHT be vibration carrying capacity due to its density, but I'm skeptical at this point that that would matter very much. Anyway, potential sensitivity advantages are my interest in FC.

The claims of "invisibility", LOW stretch, and abrasion resistance, are simply erroneous, or moot in the first case.

IME (only tried several brands so far), FC is brittle (susceptible to shock as it is less elastic than mono), vulnerable to surface damage (which really rears it's head in knot tying skill requirements), and expensive.

Brands vary greatly in "quality". I think this is less that some are of poor quality, but rather they have different qualities. Vanish is an example I think. It's a good line, but it's soft and easily damaged: like trying to use a light Trilene XL for heavy cover work. Most bass anglers hate it.

Some brands do appear to have better abrasion resistance (none of it great IME) and some handle better. But beware that good handling often means softer and/or thinner. Like all lines ignore lb test rating and go by diameter, to match existing lines you know. Most FCs appear rated fairly thin for the lb test rating seen nowadays, more similar to Trilene XL. Berkley 100% is an exception -it's the opposite.

So far, IME again, it looks like most spinning tackle can handle FCs up to about .011, with wide spool reels handing up to .013 OK; for an adequate casting range. But such diameters come through the guides making quite racket, and snub the cast down pretty quick. I do wonder how guide size and placement, as well as rod action, would help this.

So far, I like XPS. I hear it's made by Seagur so probably Seagur has some good stuff, but I haven't tried any. Another that has been rated high (by testing) is Maxima FC. Haven't tried that one either.

So...I am still experimenting with FC, for deeper presentations, and if I find it does not give me an appreciable sensitivity difference, then I'll go back to mono/CoP for the simplicity of maintenance. The advantage of UV invulnerability is not that large considering FCs brittleness susceptibility to damage. I end up re-spooling anyway.

Two things I do with mono: cover mono filled reels to block sun when not in immediate use, and soak it prior to fishing if I want it to sink. It won't sink like FC but it does sink better when thoroughly soaked.

Some worthwhile reading:

Scroll to "The Truth About Fluorocarbon". It's in 4 parts.

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/tackle/page/2/

Good coverage Paul, and I have to agree with most points made.

While toying with fluoro, I liked Maxima, but most anglers seem to prefer Seaguar.

Oddly enough, tests by TackleTour found Seaguar to possess the lowest score for line traits

characteristic of fluorocarbon, so its popularity may hinge on the fact that it behaves least like fluoro.

I gave fluorocarbon a college try (cost me a small fortune) but ultimately I threw in the towel.

I get the distinct impression that I've worked with titanium leader that was more manageable

than pure fluorocarbon line ;D

Roger

As far as FC and knots, no matter what you tie lubrication is key.  Slobber that thing up before cinching.  FC is very susceptible to friction damage.

I found XPS FC to be a little too stiff and too shear-prone (the line splits).  Thus far, my favorites are Trilene 100% and Stren 100%.

I fish quite a bit of FC line myself.  The XPS is a very good line - especially when you can catch it on sale.  I think it's definitely one of the "best value" FC lines out there today.  I have used the 8lb for jerkbaits and smaller crankbaits with positive results.

I've fished the Berkley 100% extensively in both 17lb and 8lb test and been VERY pleased with it.  I've fished the 10 and 12lb test versions as well and have had equally positive results so far.

I haven't tried to many true FC lines but I've liked both the Trilene 100% and Invizx by Seaguar. Both are pretty limp and seem to be pretty abrasion resistant as far as I can tell. No problems with knot strength  but I haven't given either of them a heavy work out in that regard.

I've been using Trilene 100% for about a month now..haven't had any issues, compared to other lines..

Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon in 8lb test has been used for dropshot on a Carrot Stix and JM signature spinning reel.  It had more issues with line twist than the same setup with XPS.  The kicker was trying to pinch the line to stick it through the dropshot hook eye and.......it will not pinch like XPS, P-Line, Seaguar Pro or Seagaur Invisix.  It doesn't tie knots as well either. 

On a baitcaster it might not matter what Fluorocarbon line you use but poor line attributes show up when you use it on a spinning reel.

On moving baits like crankbaits and spinnerbaits there isn't a big advantage to using Fluorocarbon.   If you fish Texas Rig, Carolina Rig, Wacky Rig, Shakey Head, Jigs or Drop Shots the sensitivity and lower visibility of Fluorocarbon far exceed Mono.

A friend at I took our boys Trout fishing at Montawk in Missouri.  Late in the night we were trying to tie leaders for the next days fishing.  He was using 2lb mono and I tried to tie a few.  The porch light and the few drinks that I had had made tying them difficult.  So I said the heck with the 2lb mono and tied 15lb P-Line Fluorocarbon leaders for two rods.  My son and I got to the river 15 minutes later than my friend but my son got his limit faster than my friend, his son or anyone near us.  It is one instance but it sold me on the transparency of Fluorocarbon line!

5 Trilene 100% (AWFUL, HORRIBLE)

Interesting. What didn't you like about it?

I didn't like it either, for spinning tackle. The ratings are downright weird on it, which makes me wonder how it really stacks up against other formulas. Appears to be a marketing based rating.

It's designed to be a "bass" line -stiffer than Vanish, (the other Berkley FC designed mostly for walleye fishing -and with spinning tackle). A harder line being more abrasion resistant, (which Vanish is NOT), and a stiffer line should transmit more vibrations. It also makes it more difficult to deal with spinning tackle.

But Berkley did something else, they messed with the break strength rating, being thicker for a given weight rating than others. I bought the 8lb and found it was the diam of others 10#. Essentially the 8lb is a 10 lb. So I went drove back to the store and bought the 6lb to cover my .010 needs. >;)

A friend at I took our boys Trout fishing at Montawk in Missouri.  Late in the night we were trying to tie leaders for the next days fishing.  He was using 2lb mono and I tried to tie a few.  The porch light and the few drinks that I had had made tying them difficult.  So I said the heck with the 2lb mono and tied 15lb P-Line Fluorocarbon leaders for two rods.  My son and I got to the river 15 minutes later than my friend but my son got his limit faster than my friend, his son or anyone near us.  It is one instance but it sold me on the transparency of Fluorocarbon line!

As to trout biting the 15lb FC over the 2# mono -something else was at work there.

Refractive index

Water 1.33

FLuorocarbon 1.37-1.42

Mono 1.52-1.62

Eventhough we may perceive that there isn't much visual difference, Berkley tests of line in a fish tank have shown that fish bump into Mono lines twice as often as Fluorocarbon.

I love the increased sensitivity, lower stretch and lower visability.  Where I fish, it makes a difference and I feel it is worth the extra cost.

Refractive index

Water 1.33

FLuorocarbon 1.37-1.42

Mono 1.52-1.62

Eventhough we may perceive that there isn't much visual difference, Berkley tests of line in a fish tank have shown that fish bump into Mono lines twice as often as Fluorocarbon.

I love the increased sensitivity, lower stretch and lower visability. Where I fish, it makes a difference and I feel it is worth the extra cost.

Yeah, I've heard of that from Berkley. Also, another study, pre-FC, that found that bass could see mono lines as far down as they tested: 6lb test. They could see all of them. But, from what I've seen, I think visibility of line is generally low on the list of line effects on presentation. There may be places where fish have learned to make the association. But I haven't been able to prove that to myself to my satisfaction.