Sign in to follow this  
Redtail

Rod for spinner baits and crank baits.

I'm going to get the Revo SX and want a rod for S/B and C/B.  Baits will be 3/8 to 1/2 oz.

I'm looking for suggestions on brand, length, action, tip etc.

Thanks in Advance!

Ideally, I think you need two different rods.

Single hooks = Fast Action

Treble Hooks = Moderate Action

However, a little compromise might be

just fine: Avid AVC66MF has a soft tip

and loads quickly. This is my main jerkbait

rod, but could be used for everything except

jigs and soft plastics.

8-)

If you're going to toss both cranks and spinnerbaits on the same stick, I would default toward more of a moderate action rod, probably MH in either a 6'6" or a 7" (or an odd size in between). You can easily get away with throwing sp'baits on a rod with a more moderate action, but you'll probably pay a price in some missed fish by trying to toss cranks on a fast action rod.

I've got a Loomis SBR rod (XF action I believe) that feels great when winging shallow cranks, but it absolutely sucks when it comes to hooking percentage compared to my moderate action cranking sticks.

-T9

I suggest a MH/F in a 6' length for spinner-baits. The shorter length helps accuracy and low casts for a soft entry. MH/Mod for cranks will increase hookups over a faster tip.

I also toss spinnerbaits and shallow/mid depth cranks on the same rod, you'll be fine. Look for something rated for 1/4-3/4 oz baits, and fast action, but with a little "tip". 6'6" to 7' in length and MH power. Fenwicks HMX 6'6" MH is a good rod for less than $100, thats what I used for a few years. I replaced it this winter with a Kistler 6'9" MH Mag Ts "All purpose " special, I know a few guys who recommended that rod for those applications and love it. I have yet to use mine, but I can't see why I wouldn't like it.

...However, a little compromise might be

just fine: Avid AVC66MF has a soft tip

and loads quickly. This is my main jerkbait

rod, but could be used for everything except

jigs and soft plastics...

I mildly disagree. I have the AVC66MF and, while not "optimal" for those presentations, find it very useful as an "all-around" rod. I don't think it is a great match with 1/2 oz. jigs (the high end of what Redtail inquired of), but I use this rod for light-mid weight jigs and weightless/light-weighted plastics and it functions well. The break point is a little far back for a specialty bottom bait rod but I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't suitable for use with those presentations...

That said, I think a quality 6'6" - 7' Medium Heavy, Fast or Moderate rod would fit the bill well. For me, alternating between S/B and shallow-to-medium divers is no problem because I can use a heavier line test without confliction. Stickbaits and deep diving crankbaits, IMO, require a more specialty rod/line to be utilized to the maximum.