Sign in to follow this  
Kowen117

Down to fifty for mats

Is fifty lb power pro or sufix work for swimbaits and mats or is it too light

You'll see alot of guys recomend 65 and 80 for mats, I don't, I use 50lb and feel pretty good about it. Then again a 3 to 5, maybe a 6, once in a blue moon a 7lb fish is what we produce up here, if your in a spot that can give up a 10+ lber, maybe you would want 65-80lb line

I have caught about 7 1/2 lbers thats about the biggest I I have seen but a 9lber  is possible

Go 65 to be safe. I have broken 50lb test from several companies. If you have a chance at a 7-9lb fish, there's no reason not to play it safe.

50 will work but like Brokeju said catch a 7-10+ # bass in matted grass I don't know :D

OK i go with 65 or above thanks also though do you use a flouro leader for this if so what brand

OK i go with 65 or above thanks also though do you use a flouro leader for this if so what brand

Stick with 65, if you bump up higher, it can put a damper on your casting distance. 65 is a great all around line for what you're looking to do.

As for leader, I use fluoro and copoly depending on where I'm fishing. Google a blood knot to see the knot that I like to use. I've yet to have an issue with it. I use 12,15,20,25, and 30lb leaders depending on conditions.

Re throwing swimbaits...depending on the weight..i.e. 2oz and above..15lb leader min. and I would go with a coploymer, not fluro. And check your knots Often..Trust me one this one.. :D