Sign in to follow this  
zbigbadaaron

Will it damage a reel if I cast in the snow?

Nope, I would be more worried about line.

Nope. I have to do it outside because of annoying animals. Also, I set keg cups in the snow to help give me pin-point accuracy from different angles.

Nope. I have to do it outside because of annoying animals. Also, I set keg cups in the snow to help give me pin-point accuracy from different angles.

I do the same thing......This cabin fever sucks....

Like somebody mentioned "line". It curls up a bit after awhile... ;D

Absolutely not. If it were true, all of my reels would be broken.  ;D Have fun. Good see I am not the only one willing to cast while it's snowing.

Absolutely not. If it were true, all of my reels would be broken. ;D Have fun. Good see I am not the only one willing to cast while it's snowing.

I know, it's funny. The old lady just doesn't understand what the hell I'm doing in freezing temps casting a jig in the snow. Sometimes I wonder myself, but I have to get my fix somehow in the winter.

What, you use your reels on special dry lakes with those air breathing fish?

If water hurts reels, we're all in trouble.

I hadn't considered going outside to practice in the snow.  Now that you've planted the idea, I'll be giving it a try myself.  Just bought my first decent casting outfit.  The reel will be back from getting a super tune by Monday.  Rod should be here by the end of next week.

I was wondering how I was going to wait until the snow melted in order to try them out.  You just solved my dilema!   ;D ;D  Thanks.

I'm thinking he may have been more worried about the oils or grease becoming too thick or something with below freezing temps. But that shouldn't be the case. I will still end up taking mine apart and cleaning/greasing them before the warm season gets here.

Best thing about it, is theres no grass to snag :) Practice with something other than a lead weight though, it will punch through the ice crust and get stuck too. You'll end up chasing it every cast.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. Couldn't help it being that I bought two new rods and reels for this season, so I had to get a little practice in.

its sad that we get so fish crazy that we cast in the snow  lol.. my neighbors always give me weird looks when i do it and i just tell myself they cant possibly understand ;D

Absolutely not. If it were true, all of my reels would be broken. ;D Have fun. Good see I am not the only one willing to cast while it's snowing.

I know, it's funny. The old lady just doesn't understand what the hell I'm doing in freezing temps casting a jig in the snow. Sometimes I wonder myself, but I have to get my fix somehow in the winter.

Nothing to worry about, until you think you start feeling strikes.

Nothing to worry about, until you think you start feeling strikes.

Whats that supposed to mean ;D I set the hook on a dirt claud because I wasn't paying attention. i was just reeling it in and felt the thump and set the hook and then started LMAO