Sign in to follow this  
hmongkidBee

rain water on fishing reels

hey guys how bad is rain water on fishing reels.  I mean fishing in the rain and you know how it gets all over your reel.  Are there any adverse effects?

No

Reels have enough stainless, aluminum and plastic that with regular maintenance it should not affect them.

The only problem I have ever had was a cheapo $5 reel used for panfish that was out in the rain one day and it froze up due to various pieces inside rusting. This was a cheapo bought at some "made in Vietnam" type of place... although the 50 pack of batteries for $1.50 lasted me a few months :)

Rain water on fishing reels can have huge health consequences.  You could be creating toxic mold or flesh eating bacteria, just to name a few.  Fortunately, I am experienced in cleansing and sanitizing reels with this issue.  Mail them to me ASAP, include return postage and I'll get them back to you sooner or later.

You didn't get the little raincoats for them?  :)

Think about when you reel your line in your reel gets wet from the drops on the line. Why would rain water be any different? I am sure that when reel manufactures build a reel they figure that since your fishing in water that the reels should have some tolerance to it.  8-) Let's not sweat the small stuff!