Sign in to follow this  
midnighthrasher

Curado vs Chronarch vs Calais

Looking for a new under 7.0 gear ration reel.  If you have used these 3 reels can you give me your opinion.  I'm prety set on the new core but I think the 7.0 might be a little fast for cranks and for spinnerbaits.

well man i dont see why you would pay 400 dollors for the core when you can get the curado for half that much. one of there curado is a 5.0 gear ratio wich is perfect for deep crankin. as far as spinerbaits i have the 7.0 that i throw spinerbaits with. pretty soon i've been sayin that i wanna get the 5.0 to put on my deep crank rod

Using the gear ratio as a deciding factor WRT to the Core 50 is a little misleading.  While it does have a 7:1 retrieve, it only retrieves 28" of line per turn of handle.  That is 1" more than the 6.3:1 Citica E.

I think the Core 50 would make a great reel for smaller crankbaits.  If I threw them a lot, I would probably get another Core for that application.

For light and/or shallow running lures, I don't think

the lower gear ratio is that important. Sometimes

you want to burn a lipless crank! For deep diving

lures (DD22/ Mann's 20+/ DT16) I recommend the

Shimano CTE200GT. Otherwise, the Calais is an

excellent choice.

8-)

Well, the gear ratio issue rises again, do not look at the gear ratio, it means nothing, look at the IPT, that one will tell you how fast or slow the reel is. From those three in the 5:1 gear ratio the slowest is the Calais, the Calais 200 APV has a gear ratio of 5:1 but only an IPT of 17", you may find it "too slow". The other two have the same IPT ---> 21" IPT.

Now, how much you want to spend ?

The Chronarch is true gem any way you look at it, the Curado is a great value any way you look at it, but the Chronarch 's spool has less line capacity.

Unless you are a crankbait aficionado I suppose you would think it twice before shelling out 400 bones for a crankbait reel. For a cran aficionado the Calais would be the ultimate crank reel.

personally, out of those three, would pick the calais 100a.

middle of the road ipt...buttery smooth power...by far the better caster.

can't speak to the core 50.

for cranking nothing in the world i believe will beat the shimano calais in the 5.0:1 gear ratio.  ive tried all 3 and for cranking only the calais wins hands down.

Chronarch 50mg. I believe it takes up approx. 25 IPT. Not too slow and not too fast. I use mine for shallow cranks, 3/8 spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, and poppers. Will work for buzzbaits, but I prefer a something that takes up closer to 30 IPT.