Sign in to follow this  
SDoolittle

spincast reels

I want to get my son a new rod and reel for his seventh birthday. He has decided that he's too old for his spiderman combo. I haven't bought a spincast reel in many years. Is the Zebco 33 still the standard or are there better ones out there nowadays?

There are several new awesome spincast reels available now. One is the Zebco Omega (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewzebcoomega.html) it retails for around 50$. Now the more economical is the 33 platinum. This is actually a pretty nice reel. I think it has five bears and a true instant anti-reverse (unlike the junky 1/4 anti-reverse of a regular 33). It sells for about 20$, and would be my choice.

I had a platinum 33 and bought an omega. Not even close, the omega is in a different class completely. Very nice reel, smooth on the cast and retrieve. It is, however, very heavy. The plus side is it should last an eternity.

In our assortment of tackle in the shop, there are (2) 202's, (2) 33's, (1) 33 Platinum, and (1) Omega Z03. The Omega is in a different class entirely, no doubt about it, but the 33 Platinum is no slouch either. It's an excellent caster, and performs better in every way then the standard 33. As a matter of fact, I'd advise against the standard 33 in pretty much any situation. The two we have are junk, imo. For the money, they're no better than the 202.

Have you thought about stepping him up to a spinning rig? In general, spinning reels are easier to detangle, and the money spent on a decent spincast reel could typically buy a higher quality spinning reel. I bought my two oldest boys (7 & 10) spinning rigs last year and had far fewer line tangle problems than we ever had with their spincast setups.

for the price , you may want to check out pfluegers trions and abu garcias lower end cardinals.

My partner has some Omega for his guide service

which I occasionally use to catch bait. They are

nice reels and have held up well for more than

three years without any service whats-so-ever.

8-)

I looked at an Omega at WalMart this evening. That's probably the way I'll go unless somebody knows of a better spincaster.

I looked at an Omega at WalMart this evening. That's probably the way I'll go unless somebody knows of a better spincaster.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better spincaster, at any price.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewzebcoomega.html

Having read the Zebco review, all I can say is it sure sounds like a much better spincast reel than any I've ever tried. I started on a Mitchell 300. Well not exactly true. Used a cane pole and line the first year. :) I know I had a few tangles, but the years have dimmed those memories to almost non-existent. ;)

Actually had more tangles the few times I did try a spincast reel. I would get the most trouble free reel you can afford for your son. Makes fishing much more pleasurable for both of you. We need all the youngsters we can get joining our ranks. I'm sure he will be thrilled with his new toy. Errr, I mean fishing tool. ;)

I got an Omega when they first came out a few years ago.  It's a sturdy reel but JMHO, it's just way too heavy to fish comfortably.  If I think that, what would a 7 yr old think?  Yeah, it will last forever.  But I'd rather give a kid something that he would be comfortable fishing until he moves up to spinning and baitcasting.

I have several spincasting reels for family and friends to use. After going through a few other brands that did not do the job well I settled on the Abu-Garcia Abumatic spincaster. Good quality and very dependable.

I own two Zebco Omegas: the ZO2 and the ZO3.  I love them.  They are as hassle free a reel as I've ever used.

The ZO2, in my opinion, is perfect for a 7-year-old.  It's not as heavy as the ZO3, so you shouldn't be concerned with him getting tired.  Plus, he can fish panfish lures as well as bass lures.

That means more action.  Don't think he won't get excited if a bull blue gill explodes on his Beetle Spin.  He will.    ;)

I am starting to teach my 7 year old daughter on spinning reels now. I need to get a replacement trigger spin since my 20+ year old quantum broke finally, so I will start her on that and then work her into the normal spinning reels.

I figure it is better to start them young so they have this experience now and don't have to learn the spinning and baitcast reels in their teens or 20s.