Sign in to follow this  
b.wedlund

Short Rod

I am looking for a medium or medium heavy spinning rod that is between 5'0 and 5'3 (shorter would be better).  I know this is an uncommon rod, but I find myself in a situation a few times each year where I think this would be useful.  I have tried all of the local retailers and none of them are carrying anything like this.  Can anyone recommend a model that may fit these requirements?  I am starting to think I may have to have this one custom made, but wanted to try here first.

Sorry, i meant shorter (like 5'0) is better but could settle for 5'3.

Yes, i am looking to skip with it.  I have a friend who has a boat without a deck.  I currently have a 5'6 and 6'3 that I use for skipping, but the handful of times each year that i fish out of his boat the tip of the 5'6 still hits the water more often than I would like. 

I like short rods too, but the only 5 to 5.5 ft rods I've owned

were so-called "Strokers". They were short broom-handles

designed for going toe-to-toe with tuna, mako sharks and billfish

without the benefit of a fighting chair (just a shoulder harness & gimbal belt).

Roger

I've got one like you're talking about.  In the mid-80's, Diawa made one that was a Kevlar/graphite blend.  It is a pretty thin rod, but it is stiff enough you could shoot pool with it if you wanted. (change out the tip)  It is either 5'6"  or 5"3".

I got it in a close out - where a store was going out of business.  As I recall, in the late 80's there were quite a few similar rods on the market.

I had a Team Diawa Guido Hibdon special for a while.  It was 5'9" and at least 14 inches of it was handle.  It got stolen and I was bummed for a while.  I've never found another one like it.

As I recall, the short, stiff spinning rod was a Tennessee, Kentucky, Ozark Lakes thing.  Lots of guys who were fishing the Brewer Slider type baits wanted to go with a somewhat heavier rod - so they could go slightly heavier line and heavier baits.

Bass Pro used to market some in their Tourney Special series,   That guy who marketed himself as a small mouth ace - died a year or two ago - Billy Westmorland (I think, don't know) anyway, he was the rod pimp for that line.

Good luck finding a short, MH spinning rod.  There are some out there, but I haven't seen one for several years - and I look.  I can't drive past a fishing tackle store without stopping - or a yard sale for that matter.   If  you want one right now, go ahead and get a custom one made.  A guy can't have too many fishing rods - it is impossible.

I have a line on a Med/ Fast 6' blank that can be cut down for cheap. PM sent