Sign in to follow this  
bassmedic46

Rod and reel recomendations

Looking for recomendations on a spinning reel and rod. I shore fish and I currently have a 6'6" ugly stick and a Mitchell spinning reel.

State your price target and I'm sure you will

receive some great advice.

I should have put a price range, Looking for a good reel around 60 dollars and rod in the same range.

Check out the Pfluger President reel and see what you can get one for - VERY nice for the price. As far as rods go, check with BPS for specials. Gander Mountain also runs specials as well as Cabela's. You can often get $100 rods for around $50.00 a pop:o) Good luck on finding the setup you want.

May I recommend spending 100 on a rod and 40 on a reel? :) The feeling of a good rod just cant be beat! You can get a spinning reel of any brand for about 50. I only buy St. Croix since my first one was gifted to me! I've had cheaper and more expensive rods. Any reel can pull line or a fish in. You cant feel fish on just ANY rod!

Thank you, I will check out the St Croix rod and the presidential reel

For a reel maybe a Shimano or Abu Garcia. If you go to "lakeside Reels" they have great discounts. For a $60 rod again look for discounted rods, or maybe a Fenwick or Shimano at normal price. I agree with previous posts that the feel of a great rod is key, but the reel in my opinion is equally important. If you get a cheap reel, it might spin nice and look pretty, but you will regret not spending extra. screws fall out, drags fail, things sieze up, break, and crack. Then you have to replace it, and will have spent enough to buy a top quality spinning reel. Fishing is definately not a hobby to buy everything el cheapo, especially if you are serious about it. I realize for me, you, and most others who can control themselves and not impulsively buy fishing equipment, $120 is alot to spend. I dont want to spend your money for you, but if you save up $80 more, you could put a Shimano Symetre on a Falcon Bucoo or a Lamiglas Excel and go from a 'budget combo' to an awesome combo. The way I decide whether or not to upgrade gear is to fisrt sit down and consider "Will it significantly help me catch more fish or fish more comfortably?" Hope that helps. :)

For that price range a Shimano Clarus rod with a Shimano Sedona reel would be hard to beat, also the Abu Vengeance would be worth looking at in a rod. I do not know enough about abu reels to recommend one in that price range though.

I'd say get a house brand combo from BPS or Cabelas.  I started with the Pflueger President/BPS Extreme Combo for $129.

I have 2 Presidents (6730) on BPS Extremes (6'6" MF) that I use all the time. They are not the lightest combos, but will do a fine job.

Abu Garcia Cardinal 500ALBi reel with a Field & Stream Spin Drop Shot Shaky HD rod.  The rod can be bought at Dick's, and the reel can be bought at Bass Pro.

I'd say get a house brand combo from BPS or Cabelas.

if you dont want to spend $100 on the rod id do as mentioned above.

in that price range i like the shimano sahara 2500 although the last time i fished one was around 2001. i think theyre lighter now...

Thank you, I will check out the St Croix rod and the presidential reel

Great combo. You will not regret it.

Good call, I forgot about the pflueger president! ;D I OWN ONE! I also have a Shimano sonora I got at wally world for $40, it's been a decent reel and smooth.