Sign in to follow this  
b.Lee

Recommend a Cheap Swimbait Rod

Any help here, I don't want to spend a lot on swimbait rod, unless of course I have to, but I would like to keep it between 100-200 dollars. For throwing 2-6 oz baits.

Thanks guys! Going to clear lake next month for my club tournament, and from the local reports here and of course after the Elite Series the swimbait bite I hear is going nuts right now.

Check out Okuma. I took a good look at them at ICAST a couple years back, and was very impressed for the price.

http://www.***.com/Okuma_Guide_Series_Big_Bait_Casting_Rods/descpage-OGSBBR.html

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any opinion on dobyns second gen rods? I just heard we get a club discount. And he is also coming to speak at one our meetings soon.

give custom rod builder Mike at Delaware Valley Tackle (one of our site sponsors) , he can make you one off of a rainshadow blank ISWB945 (2-6 oz. lures ) i have one built by Gblanks) and it throws hudds (rof 16) perfectly and will throw lighter baits great also . i use it for frogs and deep diving crankbaits sometimes !! a very versatile rod . i am sure Mike can build it for you just how you want and it will come in under your budget :D

Check out Okuma. I took a good look at them at ICAST a couple years back, and was very impressed for the price.

http://www.***.com/Okuma_Guide_Series_Big_Bait_Casting_Rods/descpage-OGSBBR.html

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any opinion on dobyns second gen rods? I just heard we get a club discount. And he is also coming to speak at one our meetings soon.

if you are looking at a Dobyns , check out the Dobyns Mike Long SB Rod 7'9" Med Hvy 795 a very nice rod !!! :D

Wow I was looking at the thread from my Blackberry yesterday those Okuma Rods are really cheap!

give custom rod builder Mike at Delaware Valley Tackle (one of our site sponsors) , he can make you one off of a rainshadow blank ISWB945 (2-6 oz. lures ) i have one 9 built by Gblanks) and it throws hudds (rof 16) perfectly and will throw lighter baits great also . i use it for frogs and deep diving crankbaits sometimes !! a very versatile rod . i am sure Mike can build it for you just how you want and it will come in under your budget :D

Custom Rod would be kind of cool, especially if it can had for my budget.

I have the Okuma 7'11" HF..2-6oz rated..I've tossed swimbaits from 5" spro's to 8" BBZ's I can say for under a 110.00 this rod is a Bargin..

nice hammer, what kind of reel do you have paired up with it. I don't want to spend a lot on a reel either. I have an old Ambassador I am thinking of pairing it with. It is sort of equivalent 5500 c3 model. I figure it will hold enough line, and have a good drag. I don;t throw swimbait enough to go all out on a setup

I actually use a reel that's considered to small..Chronarch 101 bvp. However, a Cardiff 400 will work fine, even a 200 will work unless you fish for big stripers. I ahve seen used cardiff from 65.00 to 90.00. So for under 200.00 youd have a nice swimbait rig.. :D

Oh nice! Exactly what I am looking for. I knew I could count on you guys to help me out!

For baits..I know you didn't ask, but..grab a 6" weedless huddleston, and maybe a 6" BBZ trout or whatever patteren you like. Unless your fishing deep water, a slowsink is a bit more versitile. Both of these baits are under 50.00..at TW. Bty, check your PM's.

Checked, thanks for the recommendation again. I have bought a few huddleston deluxes 6 inch, I bought the weedless one and the 12 ROF one. BTW do you know the weight of those baits.

TBH, The Okuma Round reels are quite nice for the money, too.  I have an Akena250 and a couple of the Induron 400s.  They're good reels for the money.

Depends on the ROF, but usually around 2 ozs.

Checked, thanks for the recommendation again. I have bought a few huddleston deluxes 6 inch, I bought the weedless one and the 12 ROF one. BTW do you know the weight of those baits.

K. Thanks I have a rod rated for 1.5 oz max wondering if could use those in mean time while I wait for my rod and reel setup