Sign in to follow this  
SGT Rico

Looking for some advice

Lets say you have 170 dollars, and you are going to buy a baitcaster reel and a trigger rod, what would it be??

I am trying to decide what to buy,there  are so many options..lol...

Lets hear it boys!!!!

kind of a broad question, lets narrow it down some.

What is it you want to do with the rig..i.e. plastic's, spinnerbaits, cranks ect..?  It would make a difference in what would be recomended.. :)

Its going to be mainly for Crankbaits and plastics, I am restricted to privately own ponds and those are what I mainly fish wish.

Thanks for the reply

Are you asking for brands, or type of reel, and rod..i.e. A 6'6" mf rod. Also what have you looked at.?

Forgive me for my ingnorance, when it comes to ''Bass Tackle", I've been using a Quantum reel and rod combo I purchased at Bass Pro for 100 buck. Its a bill dance model, 6'6,MH action. I've been using this rod for everything, cranking, jiging, worms, everything. I want something mainly for Crankbaits and worms. I am not to savy on equipment and brands, but for what I've heard Shimano and Daiwa are the best of the best.

Also, the reel I have is also a Quantum, but looks cheap and its a 5:1 gear. It also only has 3 bearings.

Worms and crankbait gear is not the same.

Use what you have for crankbaits and get a

Medium Power/ Fast Action rod for soft plastics.

Major retailers ALWAYS have there combinations

on sale throughout the year. This might be ticket,

but ONLY on sale:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102965_100003000_100000000_100003000_100-3-0

I would go with the 7' rod combined with the Citica CI200E.

38-954-582-05

Read Item Notice

1 below      CI200E

7.8 OZ

RIGHT-HAND      6.3:1

27"

8/180, 10/155, 14/110

(LB/YDS)      BXB70MT

1-PIECE

10 GUIDES      8-17 LB

1/4-5/8 OZ      7' M

FAST

HANDLE B       $174.98      In Stock

8-)

i will agree with roadwarrior, you will want a different rod for worms and another rod for cranks. 

Thanks guys, Thats why I joined this forum, to learn learn learn.

I live 30 minutes away from the basspro, so I will be making a stop there this week.

If you can get the Rick Clunn rod on sale, it works pretty well for plastic's. I've thrown spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, chatterbaits, and shallow cranks with it, although the tip is kinda soft for lipped cranks, if you stick to 1 to 5' you'll be o.k...Normal price on this rod is 99.99..

I have a 7' MH Fenwick HMG with a Shimano Curado for my crankbait rod. I know this is a little out of your price range but the best setup i have ever owned and i have only fished it for a week now!

For my worm rod i have both a 6'6" MH and a 7' MH. It just comes down to what feels better in your hand. Personally i like my 6'6" better.

Try the Fenwick Eagle GT for only $59. Fenwicks are amazing rods with great sensitivity and they are built to last for years. 

Sounds good, Thanks

Lets say you have 170 dollars, and you are going to buy a baitcaster reel and a trigger rod, what would it be??

I am trying to decide what to buy,there are so many options..lol...

Lets hear it boys!!!!

Research. Find what you like that is reasonably priced, but still over your budget. Then haunt the classifieds. Unless you don't want to get used. Or can't wait. I picked up a $150-$160 rod (without shipping cost) for $100 shipped. A NIB 09 $199 reel for $125 shipped. A $220 rod on close-out for a few pennies over $100...shipped. ;D

I couldn't have bought any of them at full price. Or even at 10-15% off. Ain't the Internet great? :) ;D

EDIT:  Also picked up a couple Fuegos on close out.  A $229 reel for less than $145.  Can't beat that with a 10' pole...er I mean a 7'6" rod.    ;D ;D