Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Stradic 2500FH vs. Stradic FI, Stradic MGFB, Sustain FE, Saros & Daiwa Tierra

I could use advice from the folks who have used these reels for a length of time.

I have been considering the sale/trade of my Stradic 2500FH because I can consistently get better casting distance from my Tierra.

However, rather than moving to another Tierra, I think I should also consider the new Shimano spinning models. I assume that all of these models are smooth and reliable like the FH)

How do these different models compare in terms of line management & casting distance (or other important factors)? Is there any need to spend the extra funds for a Sustain FE or Stradic FI if the actual performance is not significantly better than the Saros or the old Stradic FH. Thanks!

Leon

I have the Stradic FI 1000 and it casts great and retrieval is silky smooth.  Minimizes line twist quite well too.  I mainly use it for panfish with 6lb test, but I'm sure the 2500's performance is the same.  Had a bad exp with 2 Saros.  Casting distance is similar to the Stradic FI.  Fast and moderate retrieval was fine, but slow retrieval was not as smooth; I experienced a bit of resistance during slow cranking.  Thought it was a lemon and exchanged it for another Saros, but with the same results.  So I exchanged it for the Stradic FI.  Never looked back.  Also have Sahara spinning which I'm quite fond of.  Sustain FE is too much $$ for me.   

Why not consider some higher up Daiwa reels as well?

I LOVE my daiwa spinning reels...

Why not consider some higher up Daiwa reels as well?

I LOVE my daiwa spinning reels...

I'm extremely happy with my Exceler & Tierra.  They both trump my Stradic FH due to casting & line management.  I'd also consider a Coastal or Advantage.  In all honesty, I'd probably be pleased with a Cabela's Prodigy  :)

However, I'm trying to get reacquainted with the Shimano spinning line.  I'm hoping this year to have enough to purchase a Stradic FI, but so far I'm not sure that I'd see enough of a performance boost to justify the additional funds for something like a CI4 or Sustain.  Here I'm trying to get a feel for how the different Shimanos perform at the water.  Some features look great on paper, but may not translate to superior results...  I also think two spools are important because I switch between #6 and #10 line.

I'm welcome to direct PERFORMANCE comparisons with reels by other manufacturers, but I'm not interested in a manufacturer discussion.  I'm hoping the Shimano posse will point me to the best performance values in their line-up  :)

There's never enough data for me.  As an analyst by trade, I'd like as many experiences as possible.

Thanks

Well, the CI4 has many features that were

previously only available in the Stella. I think

this reel is the "Best Value" in the Shimano

line-up.

8-)

Thanks RW, assuming I don't need the weight savings, would I be missing out on superior line management etc. if I stuck with FI?  In all honestly, I don't get enough time at the water to notice the nuances that you would. :)

Also, will the CI4 accept the spools from the FI or other Shimano models?

You will be just fine with the FI.

The new CI4 comes with one spool only and

nothing is interchangeable. This is all new

design and technology in the Stradic series.

8-)

Thanks, now I've got to go around the house asking myself, "Can I sell that?" And then, "Would anyone buy this?"  :) :)

I have a Stradic 2500 FI and had to sent it back right out of the box. Ticked me off big time ,I was not the only one out there that had the same issue with this reel. There were bail issues I believe they had to add a shim,it's works fine now. As far as the reel goes it is OK JMHO. I love Shimano bait casters but I think there spinning reels leave a lot to be desired. I to have a Tierra and it out performs the Stradic 2500 FI hands down every time. I know RW loves his Stella and C 14 and his opinion is well valued , but I have to say in my opinion I would go with a upgraded Daiwa. I don't know if they have fixed the problem  or not but in my opinion Shimano should not have had these reels on the market to start with or notified the owners that there was a bail issue with this reel from the factory.Just my two cents

Thanks Tennwalkinghorse.  Like you I also value Roadwarrior's opinion.  But I don't always listen :)  If I did, maybe I could measure my personal best in pounds instead of grams  LOL  ;D

I'd like to try a Shimano again, but its good to hear that I'm not alone in appreciating the Tierra.  It might just depend which one is on sale when I have $$ in my pocket.

The big plus for the Stradic FI is that it would look great with a Helium II.  Tierra blue, not so much :)

I know what you mean that's how I feel about my Curado E 7's on my St. Croix Legend tournament Bass rods, green and blue don't look pretty, but I would not give up those E7's for any reel. I wish they made a E 5 in left hand :'(.