Sign in to follow this  
slickone

ok guys...need some help or advice

First off, hello..I don't post on here much at all because I usually find what i'm looking for by reading. But I am stumped and with a little explanation, i'm hoping you can give some advice.

I am not real new to baitcasters, I have had 4 or 5 cheaper models over the years and wear them out and go to another one..I usually buy walmart specials in the 30-50$ range but have decided to step up and buy a pro qualifier bps reel. You will knock me on the pole, but I found a 6-6 ugly stick lite mismarked at walmart for $15 so I grabbed it. worse case, i can throw a zebco on it for kids pole if it is the culprit.

Now, I first rigged it up with offshore angler 12lb mono and to be honest, I feel it is junk..coiled really bad off the spool before I even wound it on reel...I switched to trilene xs i think..red box..and it is better..

I can not keep it from backlashing..I have a 1/2oz drop shot weight tied on for a casting plug so to speak..I have all 6 brakes out.."not locked in" i'm assuming as the spool spins, it makes the pins come out to create drag on spool..maybe i'm wrong?..I have magnetic set from 6-9..and tension knob set to where I have to shake the rod pretty good to get it to drop to ground..I feel this is over tight personally, but I just can't keep it from backlashing..it goes haywire before it even hits the ground..I have developed a slight thumb to where i can thumb it before it hits ground/water and keep it from backlashing that way, but this is even before it hits ground...in mid air

so my question/questions are what to do? do I possibly have a faulty reel? are these reels finicky with certain mono's or mono in general? maybe I have too much wrist?..

can someone point me in right direction? I know this reel is better than this or I hope...having to choke it to where I only get about 40ft out without having backlashing is strange to me..or is this the norm?...

Thanks for any advice you can point out...

I have to say I know that some things are not "the best" but given my circumstances, I work with what I can...I have a disabled wife and a job that is crushed by economy right now here so I'll get there when I can I guess is what i'm saying...I know the ugly stick isnt the best pole around, but I wanted it really to throw frogs and jigs and maybe heavier texas rigged worms or what have you

Sounds like you got all the brakes on high pretty much and the tension is tight.  Maybe you are having to really "whip it" to make it cast and therefore this is causing the backlashing.  I have the Extreme which is similar to the PQ reel but without the centrifugal brakes.  I set the magnetics fairly high at times but have the tension loose so I don't have to give it much of a fling to get the lure to sail off of it.  This lets me make long easy casts using 1/4 ounce weights but I do admit that I have to thumb it good or it will backlash.  Having the magnetics on 9 though I virtually do not have to use a thumb.  If I back them off to 6 then it's a huge backlash without the thumb.

The centrifugal brake comes into play as the spool gains speed at the beginning of the cast. The magnetic brake slows the spool at the end of the cast to control over run when the lure hits the water. If the line is billowing off the spool as the weight drops I would look at the rod. It sounds like the line is dragging on the guides. Run a q-tip around the inside of each guide feeling for rough spots. If they seem OK, treat the guides and line with KVD or Reel Magic. Also turn the magnetic brake off while setting the spool tension knob. Start with nice easy casts and work your way up gradually backing off the brakes and spool tension. Hope this helps.

Mike

thanks guys for the advice...it has been a crazy work week and a beautiful time here to be fishing...go figure...I will try your suggestions as soon as I can get on the water

I have all 6 brakes out.."not locked in" i'm assuming as the spool spins, it makes the pins come out to create drag on spool..maybe i'm wrong

if im not mistaken, it sounds like you have all the brakes on. push 4 of those puppies in.

loosen the tension so it slowly falls without shaking it.

dail her in from there.