Sign in to follow this  
Chris W.

Mitchell Fishing Reel, Did I do good?

Hey guys, It was opening day here and I blew up my Shimano last year! Needed a new reel. So I only had a limited amount of dough to buy a new setup with. I bought this: fishmitchell.com/products/reels/avocet%C2%AE-ii-silver-series . A Mitchell Avocet II Silver series in the 10 lb option. Did i pick a decent reel? I mainly target bass and trout. I just want to know if it will last me and if it was worth the 24$ i paid for it. I know it's not top of the line, but is it decent?

I had a mitchell fulcrum spinning combo that i never cleaned didnt take the best care of (I was a teenager didnt care bout my stuff hey if it breaks ill go buy new ::).But for not cleaning it and not taking the best care of it and a teenager using it lasted me 10yrs.So if you clean it and take of it should last you awhile.

Is it about the same build quality as mine? I like the reel after a few hours of using it but i know nothing about the reel model or company. The quantum i saw wasnt very impressive build wise ans im not a big fan of shakespeare reels. So i chose mitchell.

Is it about the same build quality as mine? I like the reel after a few hours of using it but i know nothing about the reel model or company. The quantum i saw wasnt very impressive build wise ans im not a big fan of shakespeare reels. So i chose mitchell.

buy another shimano... :)

Wish i could get another shimano. And i fish half the week sometimes. Depends on how busy i am.give or take 16 hours a week or so.

Wish i could get another shimano. And i fish half the week sometimes. Depends on how busy i am.give or take 16 hours a week or so.

My Walmart here has that same reel for $20, and they also have some Shakespeares for about that same price. Between the two, the Mitchell is worlds better but I wouldn't expect more than a season or two at most from it with moderate use. If you fish a lot then maybe this year only and you'll be ready for another one again. Wish you'd seen my advertisement here a day or so ago in the flea market. Sold a Shimano Sedona in nearly mint condition on here for cheap and it would have been a better reel for you. It went for not much more than you gave for that one.

Hey Chris I bought this as a combo was a mitchell combo that cost like 50$.So yea probably bout the same quality as yours,so dont jump on the shimano bandwagon your mitchell will treat you fine.Just take of it unlike I did.If I'd had taken care of mine probably be still using it.Like I said I put mine through hell and lasted me 10yrs.Just cause its from walmart and only cost you 20$ doesnt mine it wont last.Unless you are catching 5-10lbs bass all the time or catching reel busting cats on it.

They are good low cost spinning reels and you will get a couple years of good performance.