Sign in to follow this  
fishon1818

swimbait setup.....

I am just starting to get into fishing swimbaits this year. I will be throwing mostly 6in hudds and baitsmiths. Also some hard swims and small plastic ones. my question is what is a good setup for the 6in ones. and can i use one of my crankin rods for the hollowbellies and what not. Thanks for any help. I read the forum and think i will try out the pline cxx. thanks again.....

Your cranking rod is to soft for a 6" hudd, unless your cranking rod is rated for 2 1/2 oz baits..You didn't mention a price for your swimbait rig, so I'm just gonna assume, you want to spend as little as possible. Also I assume your Not fishing for toothy critters, or stripers, but largemouth bass.

The rod..the Okuma 7'11" HF is a great start, it's reated 1 to 6 ozs..I've thrown 4.5 oz baits with it, at 109.00 and free shipping from TW. Reel, you can use a low pro baitcaster, unless your fishing for stripers ect..then a reel with more line capacity is needed, such as the Shimano Cardiff, Callcutta, or the Curado 300's..

Line, if you intend on throwing 8" hardbaits such as the BBZ..your gonna need at least 25-30lb mono, or fluro. If your goning to stay in the 6" range for both soft, and hard baits, then 20lb would be fine. I've thrown 6" Hudds on 15lb Yozuri hybrid Ultrasoft, but you run the risk of breaking off if you get a overrun on the reel..Oh, unless you have issues with trees, bushes ect, the 7'11' will give you longer cast's, the rod is also avialble in a 7'6" model too.

The 6in is the biggest i will use so should i get the mh or h rod. and i was asking about the soft plastics like the hollowbellies,money minnows that sort for the crankin rod because they dont weight much..

The Shimano Crucial Swimbait rods are really good rods for the $$ as well.  Hollow body swimbaits like the Basstrix and Money Minnows can be fished effectively on a good heavy action jig and worm rod.  Baits like the 6" huddleston are best used on a true swimbait rod - the 7'11"MH Crucial swimbait rod makes a great 6" hudd rod and will chunk a 3:16 Baby Wake - a must have for anyone getting into swimbaiting - very well also 8-)

A great rod for swim baits is the Kistler Helium LTA 7'-6" / heavy. With a good reel and 20lb. fluoro this would be the set up. This rod has the FUJI ECS exposed blank reel seat and one of the most comfortable rods to hold in your hands for a good days fishing. Larger swim baits may call for a little bigger line. As stated - crankbait rod would be to soft for larger swimmers - need more back bone. Anyway, this is the set up that I use.

I use a 7'9''MH Dobyns Mike Long Swimbait Rod, 50HS Revo Toro, and 20lb P-Line CXX for most of my swimbaits of size.  The smaller ones like hollow paddletails, Spro BBZ Shads, TT Tru-Life, and other small, lighter baits, I use a 7'H, sometimes a MH.

For some good reading on swim baits, you should check out BBZ.com  Tons of info regarding all types of baits but with a focus on swim baits (and not necessarily Spro BBZ baits) 

BTW- I use a Lamiglas Big Bait Special rod with a REVO Toro casting reel spooled with 20# Sunline Fluorocarbon.  The Mike  Long Swimbait rods from Dobyns is worth taking a look at too!

Abu Garcia C4-5600 (DOES have thumb-bar) paired with a 7'9 H St. Croix Mojo Bass "swimbait" rod. This will only cost right around $200 and would be one HECK of a swimbait combo!

Abu Garcia C4-5600 -- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74091____SearchResults

St. Croix Mojo Bass 7'9 H -- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_104145____SearchResults

PowerPro 40lb -- http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44282____SearchResults

SWEET, CHEAP SWIMBAIT SET-UP!

Thanks for the replies. I might just go with the okuma because i dont want to spend a bunch until i know i like fishing swimbaits.. But do i go with the mh which is rated 3/4 to 3oz or the H which is 1 to 6oz. for more power even though the max swimbait i have is 3oz. sorry for all the questions just dont know anything about swimbaits....

Go with the H..it will throw most baits better. Also the Okuma has a lifetime warranty.. :)

If you have a good flippin stick, you can throw the lighter swimbaits, i.e. 2 oz. or less..

If you have the $$$ the Doybns rods are tough to beat..

Hollow Belly Swimbaits - Dobyns Savvy Series 735 , it's the perfect rod for these baits.

The other swimbaits listed, I'd look into a Dobyns 795 Swimbait Rod.

As for reels, you can get away with just about anything for the baits you're throwing.. Revo STX, Revo Inshore, Curado, you name it, you should be fine given  you're not throwing baits over 6" really.