Sign in to follow this  
cbfishalot

P-Line CXX

What is your view on this line for fishing frogs in heavy grass?  I know that it's very strong and has low stretch.  I know that braid is probably a better way to go but I'm just not a big fan.  I was looking for a other line option for fishing frogs.  I was thinking 20lb for frogs and weedless swim baits like a mission fish around grass.  Any advice would be helpful! 

CXX has a big following, I'm sure you will like it

for those presentations.

8-)

When it comes to frogging in the thick stuff, I always use Power Pro, 50 or 65 lb. test. You'll drive the hook home and be able to dig out any fish trapped in the "salad".  It's really not tough to use, but if you really hate braid, CXX won't do you wrong.  :o

I actually prefer 15# CXX when there is "snot" at the surface.  The P-line pickes less of it up.  Otherwise, I go with 65# braid for frogs.  Be warned, that P-line sinks a bit after a while, so keep your tip up a little, and watch that you aren't wrapped up on a pad.

CXX is my confidence line for a lot of applications, but I prefer braid for frogs. Having said that, I use 17lb CXX for buzzbaits over grass and have been able to pull out big fish when they try to bury you in the weeds.

If you're fishing over grass that is not matted CXX should work, but if you're trying to throw your frog on top of mats braid is the only real option.

I love CXX but if you are fishing those baits and the fish are not line shy just go braid.

Not for frogs. Period. The line is awesome but not for frogs. It won't cut through the weeds, and it does stretch. If you're throwing those baits, just go with braid, if you tie on a swimbait then add a 20lb CXX LEADER to the braid and you're set.

CXX is awesome but you may be better off with braid for frogs.

I agree, use braid for frogs. The CXX is great for flippin', pitchin', and heavy cover presentations where long casts aren't required. Put some KVD line and lure on it to help deal with the memory it has and it is one of the best lines out there.