Sign in to follow this  
FishinTN

Action for pitchin??

Guys I pretty much decided on a Dobyns rod for pitchin, and some frog work. My question is, which action should I opt for. They have a med/hvy with a ex fast, and fast tip. Whats the real benefit between the two?

here is a quick link to show you the actual difference. 

http://www.allstarrods.com/sub_actiontaper.html

For your stated purpose, it's a personal preference...  but if you use braid at all I would not use x-fast.  braid and close quarters hooksets are very rough on equipment and joints. 

My pitchen rod is F..as is my swimbait, all of my other BC rods are xf..persoal preference.

For MH or H I prefer a fast action; for M, XF.

i have to assume you're talking about the 735c and the 736c? if so, you should note that the *** description is different than the dobyns website info. TW says that those are both 'fast' while dobyns says that they're 'extra fast'. who is correct i am not sure but i have the champion 735C and it feels like a 'fast' taper to me, not XF. i love it just the way it is.

Well I got the 765flip. It's m/h fast but dang! it's a pretty stiff rod. I looked at a 734c, it said hvy, fast but it was quite slimmer than the 765flip even though that was a m/h. The 734c was noticably limper in the tip. Anyway, going to spool up with some braid and give it a shot here pretty soon. I'm almost talked myself into taking it back and getting the 734c, I'll be doing more pitchin, and frogin and I think I'd rather have that little more tip... :-/