Sign in to follow this  
mark nowak

Need Some help, looking for a lower budget spinning rod?

I am sure this question has been answered before but I could not find it. I would like to get a new spinning rod, looking at spending no more that $100. I do a lot of shore fishing and fishing from small boats on ponds and smaller lakes. What Brand, model, size and action? Thank You for the help.

Fenwick HMG is a good one. It might be $110 if you want to spend a little more.

Best bang for the buck: Shimano Clarus

St Croix Truimph 6'6" or 7' Med.  Same blank material as in the Premier and Mojo Line for much less money.  I even used the 6'6" for light surf fishing last year and had a ball on small sharks and sea trout.

I fish from the shore mostly myself and I use a number of Cabelas rods. The Cabelas Prodigy is on sale now for either $59 or $89 depending on the model. I have a couple of the XML rods in different lengths and actions that are my go to fishing rods day in and out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20168-cat20374&id=0064414123858a&navCount=5&podId=0064414&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

I haven't used one the BPS carbonlite rods, but they are light and feel like a much higher-priced rod.

No matter what you choose, I'd go 6'6" or 7' and medium action, the most versatile spinning rod for most Bass fishing.

I am sure this question has been answered before but I could not find it. I would like to get a new spinning rod, looking at spending no more that $100. I do a lot of shore fishing and fishing from small boats on ponds and smaller lakes. What Brand, model, size and action? Thank You for the help.

The Clarus is a pretty good choice. I have used the St Croix Triumphs for the last few seasons with no troubles also. If you want to spend a tad more,go with the St Croix Premier.

Clarus, or Compre..if you want to spend a tad more than the clarus..I have a 7'6" Clarus..the thing is indestructable.. ;D Plus a lifetime over the counter exchange, can't beat them..

I never used them but I'm looking to get my hands on some of these rods

http://www.***.com/Okuma_EVX-A_Spinning_Rods/descpage-OKEVXSR.html

And if you want to go cheaper there is this line also.

http://www.***.com/Okuma_Reflexion_Spinning_Rods/descpage-ORFSR.html

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know what I end up getting. Thanks again.

Yet another "ditto" for the Clarus. Reasonable price and the lifetime warranty can't be beat. I somehow broke the tip off mine and walked into the local shop with and walked back out with a brand new one no questions asked. I recently picked up a baitcast version of the Clarus, now I'm just saving up for a Curado to mount on it.

I have a St Croix Triumph 7' ultralight rod that I really love as well. Catching feisty smallmouth on that thing is a riot!

I just responded to another thread on this forum about a similar issue immediately before reading this.  My father and cousin swear by their berkley lightning rods for the $.  $45 to $55 depending where at and what you get.

if the spinning is anything like the casting this rod CAN NOT be beat at 100$

http://www.***.com/Falcon_BuCoo_Spinning_Rods/descpage-FBCS.html

I don't buy rods based on opinions and generally don't give them, my rod decisions are based as  I see them performing in real time, I'm going to make an exception.  Couple months ago my buddy, Poonman, he's a tarpon fisherman, bought a Tsunmi airwave, I watched him catch fish over 10-20#, I played with it and loved the rod.  I pulled the trigger and bought an 8' 8/17 spinning and it's awesome.  Another friend saw mine and he in turn bought a 7' 8/17 spinning and he's in love as well.  This rod is feather light, casts a mile, sensitive, not that we need that here, and has been handling fish so far up to 30#, bigger would be no problem.  Tsunami makes traditional casting and spinning, inshore, off shore boat and surf rods.  Very reasonably priced and worth a look.

Although I've heard the Clarus is definitely the best value, I have a couple Shimano Convergence rods and I love them for the price.  I think I payed $22 for my 6'6" MH rod, and I have a 6'M and a 6'6" M as well, payed 18-25 for those.  If you can find them on sale, they're an awesome buy.  Fuji components, IM-6 graphite, reasonable sensitivity, etc...only problem is finding them new and on sale.