Sign in to follow this  
barroncooper

BPS extreme

got lucky and won a BPS extreme as a door prize a couple of weeks ago. seems like a pretty nice reel. anybody have any ideas on who manufactures these things. they look very abu-ish to me. maybe pflueger? spooled it up and this freaking thing can cast. very finicky with the cast control though. anyone have any insight on these things

abu-ish to me. maybe pflueger?

Both owned by Pure Fishing. 

Decent reel, especially for free.  I've got a few of them.  The magnetic brakes need to be nearly maxed out to avoid backlashes (8 or 9) but once you find the magic spot you can nearly cast them without using your thumb at all.

Yeah a great deal for free!! I just bought my wife the combo for her. She seemed to like it but we yet to fish it.

I have a 2 yr old extreme, brakes Must be on 9..spool tension, very little depending on the weight of the bait, and wind..Mine needs constant adjusting.

Also, tolerances don't seem to be very good..

Rooster, I'd love to see you cast mine w/o using your thumb, you'd have the biggest backlash ever..lol

Decent reel, especially for free. I've got a few of them. The magnetic brakes need to be nearly maxed out to avoid backlashes (8 or 9) but once you find the magic spot you can nearly cast them without using your thumb at all.

pluger

they are great reels...i hate the green color....i think of only on thing when i see a green reel...CURADO....

I have three that are in their third year. They are decent reels for the money. As mentioned they are a little temperamental. They are not well suited for lighter lures, but do fine with 3/8 oz and up IMO.