Sign in to follow this  
SGT Rico

I am I the only fisherman who does this?

My fishing buddies laugh at me when I burn the end of braid line. Everytime I re-tie a different lure on my braid, I burn the end. Am I to picky?? Or is this behavior normal?? For some odd reason I think the line is going to become undone if I don't burn the end. I think I am not crazy..lol.

Never saw a need to burn braid.  maybe it depends on the type of braid you have..???

I use 45lb Powerpro. I really don't think it needs to be burned, but I guess I am just finiky..lol..

Not a new trick, saltwater captains have been doing this for years, that's where I learned it.  I use a cigarette to singe the end of braid, puts a little nib on it, knots do not pull though.

I do use a leader ( and swivel) with my braid so I don't do it as often as you.

As long as you don't weaken the line up from the end with the heat, and it puts your mind at ease, I don't see the problem.

I do mine, I think it's a habit carried over from burning the ends on small diameter rope and shoe strings that need it.

Not a new trick, saltwater captains have been doing this for years, that's where I learned it. I use a cigarette to singe the end of braid, puts a little nib on it, knots do not pull though.

I do use a leader ( and swivel) with my braid so I don't do it as often as you.

Great, now I need to start smoking. :)

DON'T START SMOKING !!!!!!!!!

They actually make a singeing tool, but I didn't think it was worth the money.

Not silly at all...I see Carp fishermen doing it all the time with their braid.They say it helps keep it from slipping as it puts a small knot on the end of it.

DON'T START SMOKING !!!!!!!!!

x2

You think the bait monkey is bad, try feeding Phillip Morris.  It's my one nasty habit that I left over from my days in the Army.  Granted, I smoke A LOT less than I used to, but it's still expensive as all hell.

are you using a spectra-based braid or a dyneema-based braid?   the spectra lines i use don't need it but the dyneema line i used to use would fray like crazy and i practically had to seal the tips of that.

I lost several tungsten weights before I started tying a couple knots on top of each other on my tag end.  I have a buddy that uses a lighter to burn the end.  I tie a palomar and had trouble with the knot pulling through. I would keep burning.