Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

Power Pro line.... I'm sold

OK, didn't know exactly what the appeal was of the braided line since I have used regular Stren all my life. Since Dick's had it on sale last week for $10 a spool, I figured I would give it a try. All I can say is WOW!!!

I picked up the green line in the 40lb test. It is far easier to make your fishing knots, even if pulling the knot tight takes a little more force. When I made my first cast, the line came off the spool easily and it hit the water and laid flat. Not even a hint of memory in the line. Then I started feeling things in the rod that I hadn't felt before. I could feel the lure going through the grass and seasweed or whatever else it would go through. Every little nibble was felt. I think this might be a great byproduct of the no line memory. Whatever it is, it felt great having the feedback.

From now on, no regular old line on my rods. I'll let my kids use that stuff. Only Power Pro for me now on my setups.

I used to be a fan of power pro.  But the last three tourneys i have BROKEN fish off using 50 lb power pro flipping and pitching deep tree tops.  Yes i retie quite often and it is pretty new line.  Needless to say it has been taken off my reels.  Just keep an eye on it.

I used to be a fan of power pro. But the last three tourneys i have BROKEN fish off using 50 lb power pro flipping and pitching deep tree tops. Yes i retie quite often and it is pretty new line. Needless to say it has been taken off my reels. Just keep an eye on it.

like most braids, it can fray easily. sure its strong but once its frayed good luck. i think for the $$ power pro is good stuff. i have never had one break but whe it comes to fishing things that can scrape and fray line, use FC.

I using nothing but Power Pro, other very good braided lines out there as well.  I fish mostly 15 or 20# inshore ocean,with lots of coral reefs and rocks where I fish, I can't remember losing a fish due to line breakage, this stuff is excellent.  Not to say I haven't been cut off fishing from sea walls moving over barnacles, but any line will cut.

Congrats. I like power pro too. With regard to what you said about no memory so far, take that to the bank because braid, like a person with amnesia, has no memory.  ;D

Power pro is the stuff! I only like braid for hard jerkbaits, heavy cover, and frogs though, mono for all other applications.

Yeah, I love the stuff too...just picked up a spool of 40lb (at Dick's too) for my frog/c-rig rod.  I have 20lb, 15lb and 10lb on spinning rods too.  If you used PP on a casting rod, you HAVE to try it on spinning gear too...it's awesome.  Go with 10 or 15lb for casting distance, unless you use spinning gear for jigs like I do.

I used to be a fan of power pro. But the last three tourneys i have BROKEN fish off using 50 lb power pro flipping and pitching deep tree tops. Yes i retie quite often and it is pretty new line. Needless to say it has been taken off my reels. Just keep an eye on it.

So what did you switch to?

Sufix-(50# & 65#).....Power-pro-(20# & 30#).. I like em both but I like Sufix better!  IMHO..Sufix is the best feeling,slickest,strongest,roundest,(lays on spool like mono)most castable braid available! I've tried em all and Sufix wins hands down! ... Good Stuff!

So what did you switch to?

I went back to 20# BPS Flouro.  Power pro is goooood line just lost alot of confidence in the tree tops.  still use it for my spro  ;)

Welcome to the world of braid. ;)

I was a diehard power pro guy as well.  As you fish it more, you'll find that it is really good line for the money.  I've found that there are a couple lines which are MUCH better, mainly Sufix and Daiwa Samurai braid.

Give them a shot, and you wont go back to Power Pro. :)

I was a diehard power pro guy as well. As you fish it more, you'll find that it is really good line for the money. I've found that there are a couple lines which are MUCH better, mainly Sufix and Daiwa Samurai braid.

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sufix. The power Pro was on sale for $5 off and cost me $10. The Sufix brand is about $16 and has a $6 rebate on a 150 yard spool of performance braid, making the final cost roughly the same or within a buck or two. For that price I'll give it a shot on the next reel I pick up, hopefully soon. In any event, I am 100% pleased with the braided line.  8-)

Thanks.

I bought Sufix Performance braid as my first braid after reading the TT review.  My bro-in-law swears by PowerPro, but I don't think he has tried any other brand.  He told me on my last visit that he hadn't lost any lures with PP.

power pro is a thing of the past.. but i wouldnt put braid on all you setups. it floats and is very visible dont get me wrong braid has its place but not for all your setups 

well now that depends on where and what you fish as well as whether or not you buy the "line visibility" thing, doesn't it?

Quiet compared to Powerpro but you know it's still braid so your still gonna have some noise!

Hows the noise level when its moving through the guides?

When forced to use braid, I made the switch to Stren Sonic Braid. Threw all my PP in the trash.

I use nothing but PP, I have tried Fireline Braid and Suffix Braid and I just prefer PP.  I have it on all of my setups and have not had any problems with the line.  I also don't really by into the visibility issues either.

Later, ;)

I've used Suffix and Spiderwire... Power Pro is my favorite by far.

The line diameter and low memory is a key.

Thanks to some solid adivce from this board, I use a mono backing with 75 yards of PP 40# test.

Last night I hooked a huge bowfin, 3 pike and a nice smallie and the line survived. Bowfin is a nasty tempered fish with teeth so its a good test. ;)

~WL

I was a diehard power pro guy as well. As you fish it more, you'll find that it is really good line for the money. I've found that there are a couple lines which are MUCH better, mainly Sufix and Daiwa Samurai braid.

Preach on!! Samurai is awesome!!